who is interested in a CNC head with inserts ?

General queries KR Bikes
JanBros
Premix Junkie

Re: who is interested in a CNC head with inserts ?

Post by JanBros » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:19 am

took my mill compeltly apart to clean it, make sure there is no clearance nowhere, made a lock for the mill-head at 90° so it stays at 90° to the bed, made a base-plate on which I can bolt a cylinder head, and made a plate with the nescesary cut-outs so I can bolt a cylinderhead upsidedown (CNC and an original head).

ready now to fix the head. Remember, this is all just to correct my silly mistake with the first head and not nescesary for the others :wink:
You know it's cold outside when you trip over dog shit instead of standing in it.

JanBros
Premix Junkie

Post by JanBros » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:54 pm

\:D/ :-D =P~ =D> O:) :mrgreen:

8)
You know it's cold outside when you trip over dog shit instead of standing in it.

Luders
Premix Junkie

Post by Luders » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:17 pm

\:D/ :-D =P~ =D> 8) Phwoar

jarno
Oil Injector

Post by jarno » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:54 pm

me like =D> =D>
Kr1s C1 zeus blue
ZXR400 SP
ZXR250A

Top-shaggy
Premix Junkie

Post by Top-shaggy » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:26 am

=D> BANG TIDY =D>
If it takes more than 2strokes then your just playing at it..

JanBros
Premix Junkie

Post by JanBros » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:50 am

fitted a head todoy with blank inserts, and only 2 KIPS are leaking when I put presure on the system - which is good because that means structural it is ok, otherwise all 4 would have leaked. need to figure out what is wrong with the 2.

you guys want the heads shipped now or you want to wait till I got mine running ?

Luders
Premix Junkie

Post by Luders » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:41 am

How do you mean by leaking? Is this the seals in the barrels?

Luders
Premix Junkie

Post by Luders » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:38 pm

I just don't understand what you mean Jan or the significance of keeping the heads until you resolve your issue. As I understood it, we were responsible for sorting out the barrel mod to seal the KIPS valves?

JanBros
Premix Junkie

Post by JanBros » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:15 pm

water dribbling out via the KIPS.

but thinck I know what it is. From pitlane.biz, I found out that it was better to move the O-ring a bit further away from the combustion chamber., so I made the insert a bit bigger, so that it would be almost where the KIPS O-ring would be. this meant that the KIPS O-ring would also pas from the head over to the outside of the insert and back.
I also found out it was better that the insert was best just a tiny bit taller than the head (5/100 mm) so that it is firmly pressed on the cylinders (the pressure anlone does about 99% of the sealing, the O-ring is just there for any leaking that might get through.
I also made a change for the KIPS-sealing compared to my original head modification : it was with an O-ring in the spacer that seals against the cylinder wall, and one on top that sealed against the head. I thought it could simply be done by one on top at the edge of the spacer, and that would have been good without the changes mentionned above. But when I made the changes, I didn't see the consequences to the KIPS-ring.

this drawing will hopefully tell more :

top is what it was with the original head and the new design to solve the problem, below is what it currently is (you can't see it in 2D, but the insert gets smaller to the left, the head bigger to the left so they both cross the KIPS ring).
So the O-ring that used to go on top, can be used lower down, and an extra comes on top within the spacer. no more level-difference, and both sit firmly betwenn 2 surfaces only. So only minor redisgn of the spacer for the KIPS-seals is nescesary, no changes to the head, and already send a mail to order the O-rings.

I'm working on a text-file with all the do's and don'ts and how to seal the KIPS :wink:

Luders
Premix Junkie

Post by Luders » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:18 am

Were you supplying us these KIPS seals then Jan? I thought we were sorting this area out ourselves?

I do see what you mean though about the original design.

JanBros
Premix Junkie

Post by JanBros » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:02 pm

yes Ben, everything will be supplied, except for the KIPS-inserts/spacers/whatever you want to call them.
I could have them made to, but it is much much easier to make them to the correct size on a lath according to the bigger hole you make in your cylinders, then to mill/drill the holes to the correct size. and as everybody needs someone with a lath to cut your combustion chambers, they can make the KIPS-parts to I figured :wink:

I wouldn't recommend trying to ru without the adjustments to the KIPS. you 'd have to take the extra 5/100th from the inserts, and if it doesn't work, you can not put them back on.

Luders
Premix Junkie

Post by Luders » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:09 pm

All looks sound to me, so ship when you get the other seals :)

JanBros
Premix Junkie

Post by JanBros » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:20 pm

head is already for over an hour on the bike with 1.5bar presure on the cooling system. not a single drop of water , and gauge still standing at 1.5bar :D
pushed a bit more to 2.0 bar (which is a lot, that's 0.5bar into red on the gauge) and still holding 8)

in the mean time, I'm packing all your heads for posting :wink:

Luders
Premix Junkie

Post by Luders » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:01 pm

Thanks Jan

JanBros
Premix Junkie

Post by JanBros » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:52 pm