Tyre wear question, apologies its on a diesel not a kr :-(((

Wheels, shocks, forks, frame
maccas
Oil Injector

Tyre wear question, apologies its on a diesel not a kr :-(((

Post by maccas »

Hi Guys,

Did a trackday at cadwell on my newly acquired fzr400rr. Handles really well felt lovely all day. Got a slight wobble as I stuck it down a gear into charlies but that was it.

The front tyre has some ridges in it. As I'm new to trackdays I was wondering if it pointed to a suspension issue. Or are the ripples the sort of thing that occurs under braking?

I must add that I had done 25 miles on the road after this trackday so the ridges have been squished a bit. I have another picture from on the day that I am putting up now:

The tyres are maxxis supermaxx (very good for the money) and the tyre pressures were 28 front and rear. Rebound was set at 8 clicks out of 13 (quite alot, hence the question really) and compression was set at 8 clicks out of 13 also. Felt nice on track and these were the settings in the forks when I fitted them.

Cheers,

Dan
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Re: Tyre wear question, apologies its on a diesel not a kr :

Post by Luders »

Mansfield and Park causes that rippling effect on the tyre under braking Dan, I would say it's quite common if you're giving it some and I imagine you're lapping around 150's now.
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

Cheers Ben!

That's a relief! The fzr probably only has 45-48 bhp at the moment so it's lacking a bit of go. Was managing 1:57's though with the traffic thrown in for good measure.

Dan
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Blimey, that's really low. Those things kick out 80bhp when they are sorted. Steve Saint has a good one and Dan Williams used to have a quick one too.

Are you going to sort it out and tune it?
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

I plan to sort the engine out so that it is in a decent reliable standard spec as this will be my second trackbike. At the moment it only has the standard restricted CDI and the only mods are a micron can with a ridiculous baffle in it. I've managed to get the carbs set up a bit better than they were so it runs quite nice now. Think it is a bit rich though. The suspension is sorted as it has a 2006 r6 rear shock and RRSP front forks worked by maxton. I'll strip a bit of weight off it and stick a fibreglass fairing on it and that will do to be honest.

I bought it to use while I fix the 3xv but (annoyingly) I actually really enjoy riding it. It has made me realise how crap the R model suspension is on my 3xv lol.

Dan
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

You need to stick a heavier weight oil in those 3XV forks, it will make a big difference.

Have you ever done an oil change on them before?
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

Yep I agree a heavier weight oil will help. However they are far too undersprung for my bodyweight. Yep they had fresh oil in last time I was at Cadwell.

My plan is to get a set of 3xv SP forks for it (which are fully adjustable) and a much better starting point than the non-adjustable R model forks.

Dan
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

That's the problem with our frames when riding 250's, they were designed for spotty lightweight teenagers or japs :)

With the exception of Fontyyy and this is now past tense, as he's lighter than me now, I have got to be the heaviest 250 rider currently racing, even Alex Leek is lighter than me!

You might find it better just getting a pair of TZ forks for the 3XV, as I'm not sure how frequently SP forks become available. Alternatively you could send them away to be re-worked and improved by someone like K-Tec or Maxton.
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

Sets are always popping up on yahoo japan. I'm sure I'll find a set :-) Rear shock is easy as you can get nitron or wilbers units off the shelf.

Yep I'm 16 stone so would that make me the heaviest on a 250 if I raced haha?

Dan
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Yeah you would beat me.