Five-spoke front wheel identification

Wheels, shocks, forks, frame
James P
Oil Injector

Five-spoke front wheel identification

Post by James P »

I have read this topic (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8191) on differences in rear wheels, but couldn't find any similar info on front wheels.

I have a five-spoke front wheel with "F-1246" cast into one of the spokes. Is this wheel from a KR-1S or a ZXR250A...or something else?

Thanks & regards,
James
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Re: Five-spoke front wheel identification

Post by JanBros »

I have 5 KR1S fronts and they all have F1271 on them
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Yep, you're spot on, they are off a ZXR 250 A
James P
Oil Injector

Post by James P »

Thanks for your replies Jan and Ben. If nobody can offer any conflicting info, I'll take this front wheel as ZXR250A 8) .

As this is the only five-spoke front wheel I've got, can anyone state the differences between KR-1S and ZXR250A front wheels?

Thanks & regards,
James
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

For this we would have to compare wheel dimensions James. Jan is probably better placed to help you with that, as I only have one KR-1S front wheel and it's in one of my bikes.
James P
Oil Injector

Post by James P »

Luders wrote:For this we would have to compare wheel dimensions James. Jan is probably better placed to help you with that, as I only have one KR-1S front wheel and it's in one of my bikes.
No problem, thanks Ben. I have an idea that the ZXR250A front discs have a slightly different offset to the KR-1S discs, although that could be related to the different calipers and/or forks and may have nothing to do with the wheel itself.

I know that this wheel will fit a KR-1, because it was already fitted when I bought the bike. Popular opinion suggests that a KR-1S front wheel won't fit the KR-1, due to lack of suitable bearings. I'm not sure what modifications (if any) have been done to the wheel in this case, but all other front end parts seem to be standard KR-1.

Anyone got any experience using ZXR250A front wheels?

Regards,
James