Track day kr1s????????????

Wheels, shocks, forks, frame
marc

Post by marc »

cool cheers ill try get some photos on today like ya say not too worried about score just the weird liner on lh barrel.
marc

Post by marc »

well here are the pics of my sorry pistons please be gentle when passing judgement as she is easily offended and was really looking forward to the possible track day.
however any honest and helpful advice will be appreciated.
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t30/ ... ngine4.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t30/ ... ngine3.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t30/ ... ngine2.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t30/ ... ngine1.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t30/ ... engine.jpg

cheers marc
mr_bungholeo
Premix Junkie

Post by mr_bungholeo »

its hard to see in them their photos...... right cylinder doesn't look too bad n a bit of a scuff isn't necessarily cause for alarm...but the speckled looking one isnt right...possibly glazing from not so good oil or way too much....or generally worn out rings..how many miles on the clock?....n how did it run before n how suddenly did it all come on?....think youll need to wip the tops off to stick a new set of rings in at the least...
bring a ding ding i'm a throttle happy chappy...:)

you cant beat a bit of blue haze...
danny harris.....R.I.P
gone but totally forgotten...:)
marc

Post by marc »

its running at the moment, and it runs quite well (well it doesnt shame its self up against a zxr400) just under 14000 on the clock, the barrels were only glanced at as a precaution because of reputation and advice from forum members. however is the offending barrel a sign of immenent dooooom :shock: ? if the barrels dont look right would a change of rings "de-glaze" the offending barrel or will it require dressing?

is it a case of popping in to the local kwak dealer for rings or is their a special place that only people in the know know about? roughly how much am i looking at to replace the set of four?

once again cheers
rc46
Oil Injector

Post by rc46 »

MMM, did you know the last owner?

Look at the bottom one here. think this is you BLOW BY
http://www.apexleisure.co.uk/pistondiagnosis.htm

You can do the job yourself i would think as long as your not a dumb ass :lol:, To keep you going for a while id say new rings, (the pistons could do with changing but you could wait a bit! ive seen worse!) and while the barrels are off look at the inside and see whats what, they may need a re-hone..
If shes running just now, take the plugs out and have a look, if there nice n brown sugar colour cool, if not tell us what you see... its not a plug chop but anything serious will show.

If your at all nervious you could run it up to BDK, not sure how far they are from you, there near norwich not far off the A11. Sam could swap the rings etc out for you have a good look round and tell you what he finds!!!

I wouldnt take it to your local kawa dealer unless you know for sure they deal with strokers.. most mechanics these days havent touched one!!

If you do take the top end apart i may have a better set of pistons you can have, USED but still in good nic! just need rings and away you go!
1 x TDR250 Black
1 x TDR50 Blue
1 x TZR250 3MA
1 x TZ250 3YL
1 x TZ250 N (to be restored)
1 x TD3 (being rebuilt)
mr_bungholeo
Premix Junkie

Post by mr_bungholeo »

khi still sell em i think.....but take the top end off to see if you need the moded pistons to go with the moded rings...if your on the old pistons(doubt it now)new ring wont fit n you'll wase your money...i'd grab those pistons off mj n a new set of rings...better safe than sorry....i've got a fine bore honer if u wanna pop your barrels over or i could pop round on sunday if you get the beers in..!! :D
should'nt cost more than 50 quid for the rings...n a couple of base gaskets n thats it.....not hard to do and shouldn't take more than an hour or two......
bring a ding ding i'm a throttle happy chappy...:)

you cant beat a bit of blue haze...
danny harris.....R.I.P
gone but totally forgotten...:)
marc

Post by marc »

cheers for all ya help guys just gonna wait out and get some funds together as i am trying to get two bikes ready for a track day.

When getting new pistons and that i guess all ones ya get now will be the new style ones.

Cheers ya have been really helpful :D
KR1 Man
Oil Injector

Post by KR1 Man »

KR1 Man (headbanger) calling. Beware the Kawasaki Dealers, as the pre-mod rings are still available. I ordered new rings back in October and actually got supplied pre-mod rings which they would'nt take back, for chrissakes take a piston or your old rings with you if you decide to order from them. All the best, KR1 Man.
RD350 LC YPVS. Also grandson Declan's KR1 with ZXR black/purple paintjob/ KR1-s upgrades and max polishing
marc

Post by marc »

cheers for that tip was thinking of only getting them from stan the man or bdk racing to just make sure they are good as im sure they would only supply correct ones seeing as i not sure what difference is between the old and new pistons.
the kid
Heavy Smoker

Post by the kid »

How do you tell the difference between the suspect pistons and rings and the modded ones from KHI ?

Have a set part numbers 13008-1146 for the rings and 13001-1372 for the pistons .
The rings have the overlap for the pin .
Which ring is the top ring ? The top ring gap is much tighter than the lower one , buggered if i can see any marks on the rings , and can't find the bloody glasses , again