Inside standard forks??

Wheels, shocks, forks, frame
Rome69
Smoker

Inside standard forks??

Post by Rome69 »

Have just stripped down my standard KR1 forks so I can get the tubes
re-chromed. However, there are a couple of plastic things inside the bottoms of the tubes which I can't work out how to remove.
Anyone got any ideas what they are & how to get them out without damaging them?
James P
Oil Injector

Re: Inside standard forks??

Post by James P »

Rome69 wrote:Have just stripped down my standard KR1 forks so I can get the tubes
re-chromed. However, there are a couple of plastic things inside the bottoms of the tubes which I can't work out how to remove.
Anyone got any ideas what they are & how to get them out without damaging them?
I'm in the same boat! The fork assemblies came apart fairly easily and I've accounted for everything shown on the parts diagram - I can't quite see how these extra parts are secured inside the bottom of the stanchions.

To avoid any confusion, the stanchion itself is part number 44013-1279 (KR-1) or 44013-1309 (KR-1S), but the diagram doesn't show the extra parts - I presume they came already fitted if one bought replacement stanchions.

I suppose it is possible that the end of the stanchion is pressed/punched/peened over to retain the parts in position - anyone know? Anyone had their stanchions re-hard-chromed recently and can offer experience on this matter?

Thanks & regards,
James
nikfubar
Smoker

Post by nikfubar »

Recently rebuilt my S forks & not sure which parts your on about :? I replaced all the bushes, seals etc with new parts.

headcoats
Avgas Sniffer

Post by headcoats »

I'm trying to think what they are too :? They are in my RGV upside down forks but not in the KR1S forks

Looking at Furbys pictures .there is only that plastic clip by the small rebound spring
Can it yer old boiler
James P
Oil Injector

Post by James P »

nikfubar wrote:...not sure which parts your on about...
I've put a red arrow on your photo to show the location of the extra parts. There is a short cylinder and shim washer (as well as a couple of other items I can't quite discern) inside the fork stanchion, which are free to rotate. I can't be sure how they were inserted or how to remove them!

Someone must know something... :?

Regards,
James
dmac
Heavy Smoker

Post by dmac »

They are "shuttles"

They are peened over in the bottom of the stanchon, They are left in place. The chromers will cover them to keep them free.

I am fairly sure they are steel, only seen them removed by grinding, to be fitted into replacement aftermaket stanchons - the bottom are then peened over.
I used to be undecided, but now I am not so sure.
James P
Oil Injector

Post by James P »

dmac wrote:They are "shuttles"

They are peened over in the bottom of the stanchon, They are left in place. The chromers will cover them to keep them free.

I am fairly sure they are steel, only seen them removed by grinding, to be fitted into replacement aftermaket stanchons - the bottom are then peened over.
Thanks for that advice. I'll talk to the chromers about it. Maybe the ends of the stanchions can be left out of the solution while the hard chrome is being deposited on the rest...?

Thanks again & regards,
James