Fork Oil what dose it Do?

Wheels, shocks, forks, frame
rc46
Oil Injector

Fork Oil what dose it Do?

Post by rc46 »

Actually i should ask what dose the size of the air gap do in the front forks do?,

I have just renew'd the oil in the front forks, They where very stiff before OVER DAMPEND i think!! they have been rebuilt at some time as the spring is allot shorter and has a large spacer (150mm approx) the oil that came out was about 420ml and black,
iv put 400ml in for now just to see, insantly the forks work and feel better, so im wondering if the air gap has something to do with it or the fresh oil? the oil is probbaly lighter as well because i used standard 10wt and maxton probally used something heavier than standard ???

so any clever clogs out there? air gap what dose it do if i increase it (remove oil) OR reduce it (add oil)?
1 x TDR250 Black
1 x TDR50 Blue
1 x TZR250 3MA
1 x TZ250 3YL
1 x TZ250 N (to be restored)
1 x TD3 (being rebuilt)
mr_bungholeo
Premix Junkie

Post by mr_bungholeo »

the oil goes through the damper in the bottom of the leg for slowing compression n rebound..the air gap gives the room for the leg to compress...if you filled it to the top it wouldn't move cos you cant compress fluid(brakes..)but u can compress air.... as a loose rule remove the spring n push the stanchion down into the fork bottom...the fill leaving a 2.5 to 3mm of air from the top...its just a starting point.....you can also mix grades..ie the thiner the oil the quicker the action..so you could use a mix of 5w n 10w to make it a bit quicker to compress n return but if you go too light it will overwork the oil n itll foam up....(get air bubbles in it)
bring a ding ding i'm a throttle happy chappy...:)

you cant beat a bit of blue haze...
danny harris.....R.I.P
gone but totally forgotten...:)
rc46
Oil Injector

Post by rc46 »

:shock: Ta!

Best put a bit more in then, Manual says 125mm with all pushed together from top with spring etc out!

But difficult to tell as this was the limit with standard springs and mine are ALLOT shorter, ill stuff another 10mm in each side and build up to the original 420 removed,

Had a quick run today and the forks are much better, And have a little less damping so im guessing the old oil was a 15. but still cant tell if it'll fix the chatter slide feeling i was getting as if it was pushing to hard!

Cheers ill give it ago!
1 x TDR250 Black
1 x TDR50 Blue
1 x TZR250 3MA
1 x TZ250 3YL
1 x TD3 (being rebuilt)
mr_bungholeo
Premix Junkie

Post by mr_bungholeo »

:oops: sorry i meant 2.5 to 3 inch gap...doh.... :oops: :oops: :oops:

but thats for normal forks...u got upsidedownies havent ya..?
stick to the book amount or if you have changed the springs phone up the supplier n get their settings for oil n air gap.... :D
bring a ding ding i'm a throttle happy chappy...:)

you cant beat a bit of blue haze...
danny harris.....R.I.P
gone but totally forgotten...:)
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

If you add more oil you can get the air to act as a spring as it gets too compressed, go to far though and the forks stop working all together.

If you want to get rid of the judder ditch the forks for something a bit more modern :D . They are pre cartridge type forks so are pretty poor.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk
mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

Post by mgtkr1 »

are the zx6-r forks (RWU) cartidge type? maybe worth a change at some point, gonna do it myself over winter. any news on the tie rods rc? im desperate for some of saome sort as im at cadwell in september and wanna use a 17'' rear as i have a load of suitable tyres for this size while the tyres on the std 18'' rim are shite, in good nick but naff compound compared to the 17'' ers ive got. cheers matt
rc46
Oil Injector

Post by rc46 »

Im keeping my rods at the mo incase the R6 shock dosent work out! Ive been reading that the rise in Height in the Back could be pushing the front TO HARD which is causing the chatter! as it wasnt happening before.

Call Sam at BDK he has a few sets lying around just tell him Jamie (or JJ)said to Call!
1 x TDR250 Black
1 x TDR50 Blue
1 x TZR250 3MA
1 x TZ250 3YL
1 x TD3 (being rebuilt)