Steering damper

Wheels, shocks, forks, frame
Gerrit
Heavy Smoker

Steering damper

Post by Gerrit » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:05 am

The lug on the frame for attachment of a steering damper seems to be in a useless position- too far to the rear. Certainly the good old H1/H2 steering damper can't be used. As part of the list of mods for my track bike project I will be moving the lug a few inches forward, also transferring it to the RH side of the frame. Out of interest, what steering dampers (if any) do other forum members use?
"Mine is a long and sad tale", said the mouse.
"Indeed it is", said Alice, looking at the mouse's tail.

SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Re: Steering damper

Post by SP_BOTT » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:34 am

The lug is used to fit a damper bracket. The bracket fits over the frame rail and the damper bolts to it in a higher position. It all looks a bit 'home made' so if you can do better, I'd do it, why put it on the throttle side though?

JanBros
Premix Junkie

Post by JanBros » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:55 pm

SP_BOTT wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:34 am
The lug is used to fit a damper bracket. The bracket fits over the frame rail and the damper bolts to it in a higher position.
wasn't that only for the KR1 ?
anyway : on an S there is no problem fitting a steering damper :

hasn't been on the bike for years and years. if your suspension is sorted out, you do not need one.
and indeed : putting it on the right side means you can not adjust it any longer while riding.
You know it's cold outside when you trip over dog shit instead of standing in it.

Gerrit
Heavy Smoker

Post by Gerrit » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:05 pm

The steering damper is on the RH side on H1s and H2s so that's what I'm used to- and it is possible to adjust it while riding!
I've checked all the KR parts catalogues I have (including three Japanese) and have found no indication of a steering damper bracket. Was it an aftermarket part rather than an original Kawasaki item?
"Mine is a long and sad tale", said the mouse.
"Indeed it is", said Alice, looking at the mouse's tail.

Binetta Steve
Oil Injector

Post by Binetta Steve » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:46 pm

Im sure I read its not wise to use the lug for the steering damper. Since in a big front end bang the lug can be damaged thus writing off the frame. So a while ago you could buy a strap on ( no jokes please) bracket. Occasionaly come up on the bay.

Doesn't stop me as I have a WP steering damper fitted on the lug

JanBros
Premix Junkie

Post by JanBros » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:50 pm

I have done many crashes with KR's, including one that destroyed a frame. never had a lug-problem.

which doesn't mean it couldn't happen.
You know it's cold outside when you trip over dog shit instead of standing in it.