Steering damper

Wheels, shocks, forks, frame
Gerrit
Heavy Smoker

Steering damper

Post by Gerrit »

The lug on the frame for attachment of a steering damper seems to be in a useless position- too far to the rear. Certainly the good old H1/H2 steering damper can't be used. As part of the list of mods for my track bike project I will be moving the lug a few inches forward, also transferring it to the RH side of the frame. Out of interest, what steering dampers (if any) do other forum members use?
"Mine is a long and sad tale", said the mouse.
"Indeed it is", said Alice, looking at the mouse's tail.
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Re: Steering damper

Post by SP_BOTT »

The lug is used to fit a damper bracket. The bracket fits over the frame rail and the damper bolts to it in a higher position. It all looks a bit 'home made' so if you can do better, I'd do it, why put it on the throttle side though?
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

SP_BOTT wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:34 am The lug is used to fit a damper bracket. The bracket fits over the frame rail and the damper bolts to it in a higher position.
wasn't that only for the KR1 ?
anyway : on an S there is no problem fitting a steering damper :

hasn't been on the bike for years and years. if your suspension is sorted out, you do not need one.
and indeed : putting it on the right side means you can not adjust it any longer while riding.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
Gerrit
Heavy Smoker

Post by Gerrit »

The steering damper is on the RH side on H1s and H2s so that's what I'm used to- and it is possible to adjust it while riding!
I've checked all the KR parts catalogues I have (including three Japanese) and have found no indication of a steering damper bracket. Was it an aftermarket part rather than an original Kawasaki item?
"Mine is a long and sad tale", said the mouse.
"Indeed it is", said Alice, looking at the mouse's tail.
Binetta Steve
Oil Injector

Post by Binetta Steve »

Im sure I read its not wise to use the lug for the steering damper. Since in a big front end bang the lug can be damaged thus writing off the frame. So a while ago you could buy a strap on ( no jokes please) bracket. Occasionaly come up on the bay.

Doesn't stop me as I have a WP steering damper fitted on the lug
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

I have done many crashes with KR's, including one that destroyed a frame. never had a lug-problem.

which doesn't mean it couldn't happen.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !