five and a half inch rim

Wheels, shocks, forks, frame
scooble
Premix Junkie

five and a half inch rim

Post by scooble »

I already have an RGV250P swingarm and RS250 wheel (4.5 inch) in my KR, however, I was wondering if it was possible to fit a 5.5 inch rear rim or is this too big??
SHimmer45
Premix Junkie

Post by SHimmer45 »

I think if you fit the RGV wheel it gives you a better choice of rubber
i dont think ppl go any larger for there road bikes.. the racers might be different tho.
Worth checking the team sparrow link on the main page
94 GPz500S
KR1-S Project
KR1 donor
col
Premix Junkie

Post by col »

i wouldnt have thought it neccersary to go any bigger than 4.5 inch, that should take a 150/160 section tyre. any bigger is just for looking at and i think it would look a bit silly.
there must be a technical reason why racers dont use huge rear tyres, maybe it effects the turn in speed for corners or something like that but i'm guessing.
scooble
Premix Junkie

Post by scooble »

I used to have a 5.5 inch rim on my TZ and used 150 section tyres.
The only reason I mention it is because I may be able to get hold of a 5.5 inch magnesium racing wheel that should be a little lighter than the standard RS250 wheel I already have in there.
...It was just a thought
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

The SM tyres that we use for racing are a 160 profile. A standard 160 will fit a 4.5" rim without any problems however the SM are recommended to be used with a 5" rim. I proved that by running off the edge of the front tyre at Snetterton and I still had a 4mm wide chicken line on the rear. MJ uses a 5" dymag rear and his rear tyre profile is a lot better.

Also I think that a 5" rim is the maximum you can fit into a KR. Plus you will need to put a kink into the rear brake brace or it will rub on the edge of the tyre when it gets warm. Personnaly I will be getting a 5" rim wheel made up sometime.
mj43
Premix Junkie

Post by mj43 »

As Elf says I use a 5" as that is the minimum I think you can get away with on a 160. Any less and the tyre pinches and you end up with less contact patch.

In a KR swinging arm 5.25" is about the biggest I have seen.

In a Suzuki arm 5.5" should be ok. Chain run will be close also as Elf says I have put a curve in the torque arm to clear the tyre.