tyre choice

Wheels, shocks, forks, frame
duncanoakes
Smoker

tyre choice

Post by duncanoakes »

just seen a kr1s on ebay and he talks about running a pirelli supercorsa on the front and a dunlop alpha on the rear.

I run alpha 10's on my kris and supercorsas on my zx6r

benefit of the supercorsa being ex race tyres which are cheap and awesome grip levels

does seem a sensible idea to run the supercorsa on the front as it will always out perform the rear, so a front end slide would be unlikely

am i missing and obvious down side, as i can only see the positives in this combo
kwackman12
Oil Injector

Post by kwackman12 »

I run dunlops on my track & road bike & it's never felt like it was going to let go even in the wet! Has anyone on here ever had one "let go" out of interest?
I supose if you can get super corsas cheap it's worth fitting them but I think i'l stick with the dunlops as they were made for these type of bikes :mrgreen:
KR1 race bike
ZXR 400 Race Bike
Aprilia RS250
scooble
Premix Junkie

Post by scooble »

mine let go at the gooseneck at cadwell, think I was still too banked over when it changed camber - and plop, the front let go :oops:
kwackman12
Oil Injector

Post by kwackman12 »

Was that on Dunlops scooble? mind you that is a "dodgy" corner, nearly came a cropper there myself (cant blame the tyres though) just the old git riding it :mrgreen:
KR1 race bike
ZXR 400 Race Bike
Aprilia RS250
mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

Post by mgtkr1 »

did come a cropper there, not nice cruising along that crater ridden/rock infested wet grass at 60-70mph knowing your gonna have to put it on its side before running out of run off. ive always had the rear break away on the kr, never the front though only on cold tyres or overhot wet tyres. mucho weight over the front on the kr. depending on your style the rear seems very light, although the seat encourages frontal biased from the rider. think any new tyre will be good enough, down to personal choice i guess.
scooble
Premix Junkie

Post by scooble »

will a 160 supercorsa or a Michelin Power one 2ct 160 fit in the KR1S swingarm Ok?
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

scooble wrote:will a 160 supercorsa or a Michelin Power one 2ct 160 fit in the KR1S swingarm Ok?
a Pilot power 160/60 fits in my KR1-SV on a bandit400 wheel (4.00)
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

a 160 will fit in the swingarm okay, but you'll need to bend the rear brake caliper tie rod to make sure there is adequate clearance.