R6 shock

Wheels, shocks, forks, frame
john-b
Oil Injector

R6 shock

Post by john-b »

I know there seems to be alot of discussion on this about being too long but what if you have a zxr400 front end as thats longer than a standard kr and lifts the front of the bike up? would it still transfer too much weight to the front?

Anyone tried or have any ideas?
I wish i knew something about KR's so i was like knowledgeable about them and everything like what you lot are ;-) :-) :-)
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

I personally think the standard shock makes the rear end sit too low, placing the weight too far to the rear.

The R6 shock rasies the rear end with the standard dog bones by quite a way (Approximately 70-75mm from top of the swing arm, to the rear sub-frame spar), so using the standard forks, you need to drop them through the yokes to compensate.

I have a late R6 shock (07) with standard forks, showing about 5mm from the top yoke. This gives me a rake angle of about 24 degrees making turning in feel sharp and crisp (this is good and works for me).

If you are fitting ZXR forks, they are longer, so you can raise the front end more than what the standard forks will offer you, placing the weight further backwards, as you may desire.

What sort of rake angle were you after?
john-b
Oil Injector

Post by john-b »

I never really thought of angles i was more thinking about how it left the factory as a starting point but more ground clearance and the scope to alter how it turns if i wanted if that makes any sense?
I wish i knew something about KR's so i was like knowledgeable about them and everything like what you lot are ;-) :-) :-)
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

I did the same thing as Luders (4mm showing through the top yoke), and found the turn in nice and sharp but it tends to get a little nervous the more you lean it over (the front wheel tends to want to tuck under if that makes sense). I'm thinking about dropping the forks through the yokes till they're flush to see if that helps a bit more.
The one thing you'll notice though is that the bike will lean over a lot more with the side stand down. I can't get a full tank of fuel in it now, always a bout a litre or so short. :roll:
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
Bikemike
Premix Junkie

Post by Bikemike »

I've got this set up (r6 shock, zxr400l forks and a 17" RGV wheel). I run mine with the forks flush with the top of the yokes. This seems about right to me, the ride height is taller than standard and the angle is a bit sharper- less saggy at the back. I'm no racer, but it feels good to me. Looks bloody silly on the sidestand though!
Mike
Need Break down cover? P.m. me.
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

I don't thinck anyone else has tried my Laverda-conversion, but I still thinck it's the better option. + you have the benefit that you can simply alter the length off the shock :wink:

viewtopic.php?t=2579
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
blanc
Heavy Smoker

Post by blanc »

Would love to try it, cant find one of the shocks for sale anywhere
To fail is to not to have tried at all.....Push your boundaries!