front axle

Wheels, shocks, forks, frame
KFOR
Heavy Smoker

Post by KFOR »

A bit obvious this but some times its is ! You are doing up the pinch bolt on the non screw side of the spindle to hold it tight and stop the Speedo drive spinning right ??
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

KFOR wrote: You are doing up the pinch bolt on the non screw side of the spindle to hold it tight and stop the Speedo drive spinning right ??
Todays update, now I'm really confused..

Hi, I'm not doing any of the pinch bolts up, (these are the final operation to stop it all coming undone, no??) so I don't need it tight, as the threads are bottoming out before the wheel is being 'squashed' between the forks.

Today I have swapped an old wheel using all combinations of speedo drive, spindle, spacers and nuts etc all still the same.

With the spindle done up tight, (this is where the nut gets bottomed out) I still get a very slight movement, when rocking from side to side, (same as checking wheel bearings)

I just tried it as suggested KFOR and still the same, one side pinch bolts tight, and tightened spindle, other side done and still wheel movement.

Anyone want to buy a project???
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

so the axl is tightened, and then you can still move the wheel along its axis ?
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

Correct, but only about 1-2mm, it feels like the bearings are shot, but they are new, and now its the same for both the wheels I tried today. I might just put a washer/shim behind the spacer on the RH fork leg until I can work out whats wrong, or someone else has a bright idea, I mean how hard can it be :)

No one taking their wheels out anytime soon?
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

have the fork legs been out ?

maybe one of them is bend, and is fitted in another position so that the bottom of the leg is more outwards ?
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
Garry
Premix Junkie

Post by Garry »

Will be refitting mine at the weekend - is there anything you want me to check

It's loose at the moment
Smokings Good For You
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

When you pulled the wheel out of the spare bike, did it also have this issue? If it didn't, and you've tried fitting everything that came from the spare bike in as a complete set, then the issue can only be with the forks themselves.
Have the forks been painted/powdercoated? If so, did you make sure that you removed the paint/powdercoat built up where the flanges of the spindle/axle seat?
It would also be worth comparing the 2 sets of forks legs you have to see if there is any other differences like some extra machining done on the inside faces that may have been done in order to run a wider wheel before you got it.
Just some thoughts.
Good luck.
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

Thanks for suggestions, but, if they were bent, the spindle would still pull them together, but I've checked both sets and all measure the same, across the bottom faces, it's approx 41mm, both mating faces are machined and flat, the end recesses are both the same at 3.5mm.

Going to put the spare back together, and see what it feels like. Took other measurements yesterday, but only had a steel rule, ie outside to outside of wheel bearing faces 97mm, spacer 19mm, spindle nut 37.5mm, (the same as machined into the spindle end, if that makes sense) speedo34mm. Gap between inner fork bottoms(face to face) 150mm, recess in outer side of fork bottoms 3.5mm.

Forks have been out, re-chromed at Philpotts, and I refurbed back to standard brushed finish, also replated the spindles/spacer/bearing spacer etc (see project thread)

In my head, the spindle now appears to be too long,(but it's obviously not) can't see much reason for this, (if it was too short, it wouldn't become threadbound?) and the only other option could be thinner bearings, but I got a standard stock item?? (6203? from my poor memory) Ive just measured the spare wheel, and bearing spacing is exactly the same, outer race/outer race

So basically something is now thinner????, hence it's not tightening up.
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

Sorry to keep harping on, but....
I put the old wheel back into the old bike, and thats exactly the same, haven't done any of the pinch bolts up, and I'm getting a rocking of the wheel. Spindle goes tight, and I can spin the spindle around, and the speedo drive turns at the same time. Could this be something common to all bikes, strange I have it on both of these.

Front wheel is off the ground, while I refit and check on all occasions so far.
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

me again :) anyone still reading :oops:

It's sorted, removed and refitted the wheel bearings, (I never drift them in too tight as that sometimes causes other problems)
Spindle in, this time I also clamped the 'Nut' had to do it up extremely tight, (more than I would do normally). result, I'm sure the tolerances needn't be this close, but it's all sorted now, so thanks for the help, can't believe it took 3 days to fit a wheel :oops:
Doesn't explain how the spare is the same, and it hasn't been touched for years?
I'd be interestedto know if you have any similar problems, or note the same issues, when you fit yours Garry.
Premix Junkie

Post by 375 »

Yep still reading,

Good news you got to the bottom of it. Took 3 days to fit a wheel but think of the fun you had :lol: :lol:
Top-shaggy
Premix Junkie

Post by Top-shaggy »

375 wrote:Yep still reading,

Good news you got to the bottom of it. Took 3 days to fit a wheel but think of the fun you had :lol: :lol:
Sounds like how long it takes me to do anything on the stinkers :lol:
If it takes more than 2strokes then your just playing at it..