Drag Race KR1

Wheels, shocks, forks, frame
WightWizard
Heavy Smoker

Drag Race KR1

Post by WightWizard »

Hi Guys,

Has anybody ever drag raced a KR1 or KR1S?

I'm going to do the following for fun and because I love working on the KR's so I know lots of people will say why? Well just because.

I'm about to start collecting together parts for KR drag race bike (I've already got most of what I need to be honest) that I could enter in the Super Twins series. To be honest the only event that I'm really interested in at the moment is to get the bike entered in the 2013 Ramsey Sprint.

I'm looking for somebody who could extend a KR1 swingarm for me, I plan on making an extended swingarm using a second swingarm to supply the extra metal needed. Anybody good at welding 7000 series alloys out there?

Secondly I will go for replacing the shock with a rose jointed rod to allow for altering the ride height. Can anybody help with making something like this?

At the front I've got ZXR400 forks which I will modify and drop through the yokes.

I'll modify some old race pipes to give greater ground clearance.

The list goes on. One thing I will do is try to get a daytime MOT.

Anybody got any thoughts?

I look forward to any replies,

Cheers,

Darren - WightWizard.
If I hold it a millisecond longer I'll get it back, ground, sky, ground, sky, ground.....
KR-1R
Premix Junkie

Re: Drag Race KR1

Post by KR-1R »

WightWizard wrote: I'll modify some old race pipes to give greater ground clearance.
Youll be going around corners?
maybe the smallest front sprocket to minimise squat/extension tendencies from chain force - in no way a drag expert tho

if its lowered down max you wont be able to go around corners properly so how will you ride to the course (and fuel) - daylight MOT?
not sure if all the work on lowering will pay off without massive power behind it - there was an RS250 aprilia in Practical Sportbikes? that went hard out on lowering and extension his times were about bog for an RGV

a standard RGV does 12.5 - from memory a KR is slightly slower at about high 12/low 13

youve only got limited power so shedding weight will be everything (and a rider thats a runt) - adding length adds weight
single disk front? (rules?), fibreglass fairings, plastic tank dummy, and small range fabricated tank in place of the ditched KIPS servo motor (-840 grams) (-10 kg fuel) (-x kg tank)
small relocated radiator reservoir (or ditch)
battery eliminator (or relocate to front of bike)

viewtopic.php?p=52534
Last edited by KR-1R on Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:20 pm, edited 6 times in total.
teerex
Oil Injector

Post by teerex »

A padlock on the fridge for a week then a big poo before you take it for a 1/4ml run, then pin it. :lol:
It's nice to be important, but more important to be nice.
Top-shaggy
Premix Junkie

Post by Top-shaggy »

teerex wrote:A padlock on the fridge for a week then a big poo before you take it for a 1/4ml run, then pin it. :lol:
I would need a padlock on the fridge for a couple of months... Or just stick the busa engine in there and hide it under a bulging modified KR fairing - do ya reckon they would notice? :shock: :wink:
If it takes more than 2strokes then your just playing at it..
WightWizard
Heavy Smoker

Drag Race KR1

Post by WightWizard »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies.

My first thought is I'll need to do 2 poo's! Ahem, I'm just over 14 stone...

The Aprilia in Practical Sportsbikes has been an influence on my thoughts.

Back to the bike. I used to drag race V8 car's and it's starting to come back to me, small fuel tank, sealed coolant system, I was gonna use an AR50/80 front wheel and disk, a small dustbin type fairing is clouding my thoughts at the mo.......

I'll reverse the gearchange cos' it's easier to stamp it down in these types of situations....

For now I've got a motor with a mild tune on it. I will use a small fogger type nitrous kit for maybe 10 or 20 extra BHP. I have a built YPVS/Banshee motor under my bench with nowhere to put it. I guess at some stage I might drift towards fitting this. Hence my thoughts about extended wheel base; 60 HP doesn't need longer wheelbase but 120 might!

There is a limit to this, money, but with some ingenuity I can go quite a long way towards getting a respectable machine together.

Further thoughts are yep ditch the KIPS motor and build my own total loss loom. This would get rid of the loom and all it's unwanted extra's and would also get rid of the need for a battery or eliminator (I think!).

There's loads more going on in my head, the creative juices are flowing! Over the next few days I'll bung a heap of bits together in my workshop and start thinking about the build. I'm sure there will be a few false starts and reversals before I make proper progress.

Right I'm of the the toilet now..... :oops:

Cheers,

Darren - WightWizard.
If I hold it a millisecond longer I'll get it back, ground, sky, ground, sky, ground.....
headcoats
Avgas Sniffer

Post by headcoats »

I would throw in the Yammy engine and put it on the road :P
Can it yer old boiler
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

Can't wait to see this one in the projects thread.
Sounds like it could be a real animal. :twisted:
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
scooble
Premix Junkie

Post by scooble »

I know John Floyd the current supertwins champion. He uses a big bore banshee engine in a custom long wheelbase chassis.
He does all the tunning work himself, I understand his next project is a big bore RGV engine!

The KR's best attribute is its spread of power, I wouldn't have really thought a drag bike plays to its strengths, unless you can get it to rev much higher