Polishing top yoke

Wheels, shocks, forks, frame
Binetta Steve
Oil Injector

Polishing top yoke

Post by Binetta Steve »

Hi , i have removed a carbon decorative cover from the top yoke. The finish underneath was poor, a bit grainy and very dull. Given i will be competing with Teerex, Bernie,and now Will, i want to polish it up.
My question is can i loosen the top pinch bolts and the centre nut and slide the top yoke off, or will the forks pop Through. In other words will the lower yokes secure the forks?

Is there anything else that i need to remove ?

I can polish in situ but its rock hard.

Thanks in advance
Bikemike
Premix Junkie

Post by Bikemike »

There is abut more to it than that but you can remove the top yoke with the forks in situ.
The clipons attach to the top yoke with two Allen bolts underneath. The brake reservoir and ignition lock also will need un bolting. Once you have done that, loosen the pinchbolts, remove the top nut and tap off gently with a hide headed mallet.
But you must support the weight of the bike before doing this, if you remove the top yoke without doing this you can twist the bottom yoke.[/u]
Need Break down cover? P.m. me.
martin
Premix Junkie

Post by martin »

I am meeting up with Bernie tonight. [in his hotel] having drinks with him and gary. will ask him to post up about some polishing :D
current bikes
fully restored green/white kr1 b2
Binetta Steve
Oil Injector

Post by Binetta Steve »

Bikemike wrote:There is abut more to it than that but you can remove the top yoke with the forks in situ.
The clipons attach to the top yoke with two Allen bolts underneath. The brake reservoir and ignition lock also will need un bolting. Once you have done that, loosen the pinchbolts, remove the top nut and tap off gently with a hide headed mallet.
But you must support the weight of the bike before doing this, if you remove the top yoke without doing this you can twist the bottom yoke.[/u]
Cheers mike

Steve
Bikemike
Premix Junkie

Post by Bikemike »

There is abut more to it than that but you can remove the top yoke with the forks in situ.
Need Break down cover? P.m. me.