Iron front brake discs...?

Braking issues
James P
Oil Injector

Iron front brake discs...?

Post by James P »

I got a pair of these discs with a complete bike in bits.

It appears that the original braking surfaces have been removed and replaced by new ones, which are very rusty (the side in the photo is the best one!).

The disc is fixed to the carrier by removable bobbins:

Anyone know anything about this arrangement? Is it a custom-made set-up, or were these available as a kit? Any info, suggestions or opinions welcome!

Thanks & regards,
James
dave32
Heavy Smoker

Re: Iron front brake discs...?

Post by dave32 »

Hi James,
I have PFM discs and they have the same fitting arrangement (you can rebuild them yourself),most race spec discs were/are iron rather than steel.
Dave :D
James P
Oil Injector

Post by James P »

dave32 wrote:Hi James,
I have PFM discs and they have the same fitting arrangement (you can rebuild them yourself),most race spec discs were/are iron rather than steel.
Dave :D
Thanks for that Dave. Can you (or anyone else) suggest a firm which may supply similar discs (the braking surfaces only) and/or the easy-dismantle bobbin kits, either off-the-shelf or to order?

I have corresponded with AllBike Engineering in London regarding the supply of discs (although not of iron) and have as good as given them an order, but this firm seems V E R Y slow :( !

I understand that only certain friction materials should be used with iron discs - can anyone suggest suitable pads which are easily available?

Thanks & regards,
James
kghost
Heavy Smoker

Post by kghost »

I know a guy here in brissyvegas.

Haven't talked to him in a year or so.

He might have some.
KR-1R
Premix Junkie

floating rotor pins disk disc bobbins

Post by KR-1R »

フローティングピン
upwards A$120 a set 16, aluminium, stainless, titanium
http://japan.webike.net/ps/floating+pin
Sunstar individual brake components...
http://www.webike.net/cg/19150/
http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/suna_arms/31944553.html

(ø300) be less hassle just to buy some complete pairs CHeep...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Front-Round-B ... 0880670329
1.2kg wavey << lighter << drilled 1.6kg << lighter << slotted 1.8kg
drilled never looks out of fashion

METALGEAR is aussie manufacturer?

yumm...
Sunstar Yoshimura Works Expand approx US$1200 per pair of front rotors
James P
Oil Injector

Post by James P »

Thanks for those interesting links Danny.

Yes, Metalgear is an Australian company, although I'm not sure if its products are actually manufactured in Australia...I will ask!

Regards,
James
James P
Oil Injector

Post by James P »

I have made some e-mail enquiries with Metalgear, and received this info from David Costello:

MetalGear brake discs are manufactured in Australia but the grade of stainless steel that is used for OEM and aftermarket discs is not available in Australia.
MetalGear has set up a small factory in Asia to cut the raw material into circles and shapes to our specifications.
After the cut material arrives in Australia we machine, heat treat, grind, paint, mark and assemble the discs in Australia.
We have completed the German TUV approval for our products and received the ABE certificate from the German Transport authority. The ABE certificate is equivalent to the ABE granted to h***a for motorcycles sold in Europe. This is the highest quality approval granted by the German Transport authority. MetalGear has to follow strict quality control guide lines to maintain the TUV and ABE certificates.
Most OEM and aftermarket discs are manufactured in Asia which includes BMW, Brembo, Triumph and all major bike brands produced in Japan and Europe to name a few.

After a subsequent telephone call, I have ordered some KR1 front and rear discs with brake pads for evaluation. The KR1 front discs are presently supplied with gold-painted steel carriers, but it has been suggested that aluminium carriers may be supplied in the future. The KR1 front disc was modelled on the original and, although not identical, is a reasonably good imitation in appearance. The Metalgear KR1S disc (also has a steel centre, I think) was modelled on the ZR550 disc, so looks completely different to the original KR1S item! The dimensions of the discs are given on the Metalgear web-site. The firm offers a changeover service (whereby a replacement rotor is fitted to an original carrier supplied by the customer), but this service is presently available only for Australian customers with BMW (and some Kawasaki?) discs! The service may be expanded to include other discs in future.

Regards,
James
bob64bob
Smoker

Post by bob64bob »

i have iron discs but the brakes are no good in an emergency. after looking on the net what little i understand is some sintered pads are no good with the iron discs, does anyone have any info on compatibility and also recommend a pad thats compatible with the iron discs ?
malsa
Light Smoker

Post by malsa »

After much reading on net I got some organic pads,non sinterd they work well on my iron discs.
bob64bob
Smoker

Post by bob64bob »

malsa wrote:After much reading on net I got some organic pads,non sinterd they work well on my iron discs.

cheers