Fireblade calipers on a KR1s

Braking issues
mellorp
Heavy Smoker

Fireblade calipers on a KR1s

Post by mellorp »

I know this has been done before but here is my write up of the conversion

When I got the bike it stopped reasonably well but compared to my other bikes it was a bit spongy. The bike had already got braided lines and fireblade calipers but something wasn't quite right

So the calipers were serviced with new seals and a new set of HHH vesrah pads. The caliper conversion had shims to move the calipers across approximately 2mm and the roof of the caliper 3mm taken away to stop it catching the outer edge of the disk.

The fireblade caliper takes an M6 bolt and the KR1s an M8 so I replaced the M8 bolts and shims with these sleeves and some M6 bolts. It's much easier to work on as the top hats don't fall out

or search flea bay for KR1S CALIPER SPACERS TO RUN GSXR1000 CALIPERS

With the calipers mounted, I had a ZXR7 master cylinder so on that went which bolted straight on, as did the micro switch for the brake light. The braided hoses were 3 piece. I would have preferred simple 2 piece but hey ho making the bleeding process a bit longer than normal. I use a simple pipe on the bleed nipple with a catch bottle raised above the caliper. The system bled quite quickly and swapping from left to right caliper, bleeding each of the unions I soon had a pretty good feel at the lever, but not brilliant. So I left it over night then went back to each of the unions next day and within minutes I had a very positive feel on the lever. It's certainly on a par with the brembo setup on the Aprilia and the Frando race brake I have on the 3MA4

Happy days :-)
mellorp
Heavy Smoker

Re: Fireblade calipers on a KR1s

Post by mellorp »

And just for good measure it passed the MOT today and the tester was well impressed with the power of the front stopper :-)

maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

Nice coerce rearsets! Not many of them around :-)

Dan
mellorp
Heavy Smoker

Post by mellorp »

maccas wrote:Nice coerce rearsets! Not many of them around :-)

Dan
I bought them on webike Tons better looking than the std stuff.

I'm really pleased with the front brake, next job is setting the suspension set, but that will be another thread and I need to get a few miles on those tyres and get the new pads properly bedded in
buzinc
Heavy Smoker

Post by buzinc »

Nice Bike. I have been thinking coerce rearsets. You couldn't post a close up of both sides could you?

buz
mellorp
Heavy Smoker

Post by mellorp »

A few pics here. You can zoom in on the rearsets