Front piston quiery.

Braking issues
sideways simon
Light Smoker

Front piston quiery.

Post by sideways simon »

Well, i've just stripped the front calipers on my KR1-S. I was going to replace the pistons with stainless steel ones. I'm going to make them myself as i'm a machinest but I have a question. What is the purpose of the orange plastic/fibre insert in the back? Can I do away with it or just turn the piston as one piece, replicating the plastic part ?

I'm also considering making several sets including the rears (10 pistons in all) if the costs are not too much and depending on how many people would be interested. Trying to price up materials, time and paying my boss for the machine time. I think i can do them for around £80 a set. Any feed back welcome.
dave32
Heavy Smoker

Post by dave32 »

ive used a set of stainless aftermarket ones in my b2 and the nylon insert was ommited,they work fine just make sure you use some coppaslip else they squeal a bit,think this is the idea of the insert.
Dave
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Re: Front piston quiery.

Post by JanBros »

sideways simon wrote:What is the purpose of the orange plastic/fibre insert in the back? Can I do away with it or just turn the piston as one piece, replicating the plastic part ?

my guess it's to stop the heat from the brake pads transferring directly to the piston's and so on to the brake fluid causing the brakes to fade .

So yes, I would definitly put them back in :wink:
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

Does it help to stop any squeeling as well? I take it you're not going to machine it out of solid bar, as you mentioned keeping to the same profile?? Good price for a set if you can do them for that??
dave32
Heavy Smoker

Post by dave32 »

if its to do with heat transfer ive yet come across another using this setup.
Not on my tz or rs,so cant see why a roadbike needs them.
Cant tell by the pics,but how does it differ from the b2 pistons apart from the fibre piece?