My first bike paint job

The place to talk about your Tandem!
Kneewall49
Light Smoker

My first bike paint job

Post by Kneewall49 »

Yeap I know 2K is the go but got down this track 1st, we'll treat it as experience if it goes tits up, I can start again.

So this is a TZR I'm doing up as part of my 'cigarette pack'; the RGV in Lucky Strike is complete, the NSR Rothmans is awaiting my painting experience on the less tricky Marlboro TZR design.

So today I thought I'd get the red on but masking up was longer than I thought and I have to go out at 3:30. I will also need to put the fairing back on to make sure some paint lines are aligned, such as the angle off the rear cowling to the bottom corner of the side fairings.

I will do all the red by spray, but the black will be vinyl cut, I have a small cutter. I did the tank 'Yamaha' with that already. I popped them on first, as I wanted to get the marlboro logo correctly positioned, and I though that would be better positioned working in relation to the name letters.

So in the pics you can see the Rainey original, well one of them, there seems to be many? And my 3XV with the back half renovated and the fairing painted white. Quite a task but rewarding for both self satisfaction and dollar wise over some commercial spray painter.

I have a KR1S, no cig sponsorship unfortunately but I did think of the COOL logo work? I'll need more spray practice before I tackle the KR paint job!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Re: My first bike paint job

Post by 500bernie »

Is the Marlboro logo on the tank upside down?
Firecracker Red and Grey C3 300
Kneewall49
Light Smoker

Post by Kneewall49 »

On the pics I have it is. Same with the lucky strike on rgv's.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by 500bernie »

That would bug me (it looks wrong).
Kneewall49
Light Smoker

Post by Kneewall49 »

Did me too on the rgv, but this time I'll do the faithful reproduction :)

Look at the guys where I buy paint, good service and advice. http://www.vgautopaints.com.au

Watch the videos for tips, etc. I did a demo day, was great and picked up so much info. Great concept they have going.

Neil
pepsi
Heavy Smoker

Post by pepsi »

500bernie wrote:That would bug me (it looks wrong).
they were upside down like that to have them look right side up when the cameras were showing through the windshield during taped races.
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by 500bernie »

pepsi wrote:
500bernie wrote:That would bug me (it looks wrong).
they were upside down like that to have them look right side up when the cameras were showing through the windshield during taped races.
Hi Pepsi,
Through the screen looking at the rider?