2 Stroke Oil

The place to talk about your Tandem!
glidercoach
Smoker

2 Stroke Oil

Post by glidercoach »

My choices are limited on 2 stroke oils here in Sicily for my 1984 KR250. There is a mineral based oil and a Castor based oil with "Synthetic Components" by Shell.

The mineral based oil has a picture of an air-cooled scooter and the Castor based oil label says it's not for "day to day use" and has a recommended mix rate of 25:1. I don't premix. It has a Kart racer on the bottle.

Any advice?
Last edited by glidercoach on Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Re: 2 Stroke Oil

Post by Luders »

Don't use the castor based oil, that's really for racing use. The castor doesn't mix well and will settle at the bottom. If left it will gum up your carbs and can only be used as pre mix.

Try and get a good fully synthetic 2 stroke oil, there are loads available, just have a search fot mx 2 stroke oils on the net and see what you can find locally.
glidercoach
Smoker

Post by glidercoach »

Thanks! There was another choice but it was €12 vs €8. Don't know if it was full synthetic. I'll look around.

I'm almost licensed. Need an inspection and whatever last minute BS they decide I need to comply with.

What about the mineral based oil? Can I use this? Sicily is not the best place to find exotic products.
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

Ben, he doesn't premix :wink:

@ glider : just order some descent oil online. oil is cheaper than cylinders and piston's. I use Putoline RS959 (costs here about 18-20euro/l) , it's a top of the range ester oil that can be used in premix or injection.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

I know Jan, I was just explaining about castor based oils and why you can't run them via a pump.
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

Luders wrote:I know Jan, I was just explaining about castor based oils and why you can't run them via a pump.
ah, ok. but since you were talking about gumming yp the carbs :wink:
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Yeah when I used to run A747, I used to have to clear out the carbs after a race meeting, as it settles, was what I meant.
glidercoach
Smoker

Post by glidercoach »

Is Bardahl full synthetic any good?
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

I'm not familiar with that, but check it can be used via a pump and if you can go for it. Any fully synthetic oil will be decent enough for a high performance road 2-stroke.