need the length of the "special tool " to set the carbs

The place to talk about your Tandem!
pepsi
Heavy Smoker

need the length of the "special tool " to set the carbs

Post by pepsi »

need the length of the "special tool " to set the carbs , jet needle # 16009-1051. So I can make something as a substitute.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pepsi
Heavy Smoker

Re: need the length of the "special tool " to set the carbs

Post by pepsi »

cant find any,they are NLA

used would be OK, cant find any of them either :roll:

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/K ... parts.html
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by 500bernie »

Is there anything close, that you could get a pair of and set them up to suit...

http://www.splatshop.co.uk/catalog/prod ... mage/3517/

http://www.splatshop.co.uk/keihin-pwk-28-needles.html

Cheers,
Bernie
Firecracker Red and Grey C3 300
pepsi
Heavy Smoker

Post by pepsi »

The problem is I do not know what length the proper needle is , I have hand fulls of needles but I don't know the correct length so none of them will work until I find the dimensions. :cry:
James P
Oil Injector

Post by James P »

pepsi wrote:need the length of the "special tool " to set the carbs , jet needle # 16009-1051. So I can make something as a substitute.
I'm only vaguely familiar with the KR250A, so bear with me :lol: :

Do you need this "special tool" OR a carb needle OR both? According to my info, the carb needles for this model are:

KR250A1 - 16009-1244 (Mikuni 5DH2)
KR250A2 - 16009-1281 (Mikuni 5DH6)

A Google search revealed that Part No.16009-1051 is a 4HL14 needle. Are you supposed to use the 4HL14 as a special tool to set up the KR250A carbs? If it is only for the purpose of synchronising the carbs, could you just make up two rods of the same length and set the cable adjusters so that the rods protrude by the same amount?

Sorry if I'm being thick, but I'm interested to know what this is all about!

Regards,
James
pepsi
Heavy Smoker

Post by pepsi »

James P wrote:
pepsi wrote:need the length of the "special tool " to set the carbs , jet needle # 16009-1051. So I can make something as a substitute.
............A Google search revealed that Part No.16009-1051 is a 4HL14 needle. Are you supposed to use the 4HL14 as a special tool to set up the KR250A carbs? If it is only for the purpose of synchronising the carbs, could you just make up two rods of the same length and set the cable adjusters so that the rods protrude by the same amount?

Sorry if I'm being thick, but I'm interested to know what this is all about!

Regards,
James

I think the purpose is to get the slides in the correct location statically , and then get the oil pump cable synchronized. I do not know what that measurement is without the needle. You have to read the manual to get the jist of it. ( posted on the KR250 site) Right now I have started the KR after a 5 year sleep and just fiddled with the carbs until it idled , but I still want to try to use the "special tool" as stated in the manual, which is as you mentioned is a Mikuni needle 4HL14 to see where the slides are really are compared to factory settings. But I have one coming, I think, we will see .I will post my results.
James P
Oil Injector

Post by James P »

pepsi wrote:I think the purpose is to get the slides in the correct location statically , and then get the oil pump cable synchronized.
Ah OK - that makes sense. Trust KHI to come up with an oddball idea like that! One might normally expect to find a hole or window in the carb body to align with a punch mark on the slide, or something like that.
I daresay that one could make a tool if the dimensions of the 4HL14 needle were available. Sadly, it appears that the dimensions are difficult to find. If you already have a needle on the way, there should be no problem.

Regards,
James
dougindoors
Heavy Smoker

Post by dougindoors »

hi I just used 2 short lengths of steel rod to sync the carbs on the cables
1984 Kawasaki KR250A
no projects, OOPS!1987 Kawasaki AR125B4
Every 2 in 1 poeple are schizophrenic
If you can not fix it with a hammer it must be electrical
2 Smokey and they bandit
pepsi
Heavy Smoker

Post by pepsi »

got a set of very hard to find "special tools" , 4HL14, carb needles! =D>
pepsi
Heavy Smoker

Post by pepsi »

James P wrote:
pepsi wrote:I think the purpose is to get the slides in the correct location statically , and then get the oil pump cable synchronized.
Ah OK - that makes sense. Trust KHI to come up with an oddball idea like that! One might normally expect to find a hole or window in the carb body to align with a punch mark on the slide, or something like that.
I daresay that one could make a tool if the dimensions of the 4HL14 needle were available. Sadly, it appears that the dimensions are difficult to find. If you already have a needle on the way, there should be no problem.

Regards,
James
I got the 4LH14 stamped needles that should have been the correct ones, but they were too short to work, :shock: then when I reread the instructions , any needles(longer ones) would have worked, :roll: because the setting is found by subtracting one measurement from another and adjusting the slides to that result. So I tried longer needles I had laying around. But the 1.2mm dimension in the manual wouldn't work ,it set the slides way too high almost bottoming out the adjustment screws.So I just fiddled with slide heights until the bike started and idled. So much for trying to follow the manual's instructions! :shock:
StrokerBoy
Premix Junkie

Post by StrokerBoy »

pepsi wrote:So I just fiddled with slide heights until the bike started and idled.
That's what I did too. :lol:
Kawasaki KR250 Tandem Twin (x4) & KS-II 80,
Yamaha RD350LC,
Suzuki GSX-R750RK & RB50 Gag.
pepsi
Heavy Smoker

Post by pepsi »

StrokerBoy wrote:
pepsi wrote:So I just fiddled with slide heights until the bike started and idled.
That's what I did too. :lol:
I was on an aux fuel bottle and forgot about the open vacuum petcock line so the rear cylinder was sucking some air , I was wondering why the cylinders were not running the same, oops! :shock: :? :roll: . It sounds pretty good none the less, revs real quick, must be them small crankshafts!