What's a good spark plug to run? B9ES ?

The place to talk about your Tandem!
pepsi
Heavy Smoker

What's a good spark plug to run? B9ES ?

Post by pepsi »

What's a good spark plug to run? NGK B9ES ? BR9ES? Maybe a little hotter? B8ES?
the KR kid
Heavy Smoker

Re: What's a good spark plug to run? B9ES ?

Post by the KR kid »

Had B9ES in mine; it's also the listed plug in the parts book.
Stop annoying me, I'm running out of space to hide the bodies!

GS750B
KH250B5
pepsi
Heavy Smoker

Post by pepsi »

had the bike quit, installed new B9ES plugs and all is good again. turn up the sound!

https://youtu.be/jdl2iBiM3_0
James P
Oil Injector

Post by James P »

If you want to use a plug with the same heat range, you might like to try B9EG, B9EV or B9EGV. These all have thinner electrodes, so are more resistant to fouling. Because the electrodes are thinner, they have to be made from more durable material than the copper electrodes of ES plugs, which means the EG/EV/EGV plugs tend to last longer. Of course, they are a bit more expensive!

The EG plug has a 1.5mm diameter electrode and is usually about one-and-a-half times the price of an ES plug. The EGV has an electrode of 1mm diameter and usually costs about twice the price of an ES plug. The EV variant also has a 1mm electrode, but I believe it is no longer made (you can probably find suppliers with NOS plugs though) - price may be a little less than EGV.

All these plugs are also available with resistors (BR9EG etc.), which should be chosen if you are using plain (non-resistor) plug caps.

Regards,
James
pepsi
Heavy Smoker

Post by pepsi »

James P wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:52 am If you want to use a plug with the same heat range, you might like to try B9EG, B9EV or B9EGV. These all have thinner electrodes, so are more resistant to fouling. Because the electrodes are thinner, they have to be made from more durable material than the copper electrodes of ES plugs, which means the EG/EV/EGV plugs tend to last longer. Of course, they are a bit more expensive!

The EG plug has a 1.5mm diameter electrode and is usually about one-and-a-half times the price of an ES plug. The EGV has an electrode of 1mm diameter and usually costs about twice the price of an ES plug. The EV variant also has a 1mm electrode, but I believe it is no longer made (you can probably find suppliers with NOS plugs though) - price may be a little less than EGV.

All these plugs are also available with resistors (BR9EG etc.), which should be chosen if you are using plain (non-resistor) plug caps.

Regards,
James

Thanks , I might have a high float level problem causing some fouling issues. I left the petcock on prime and had fuel leaking out the overflow(s). It runs real strong on top but gets all monkeyed up down low. However it does not seem to have problems sitting and idling?
pepsi
Heavy Smoker

Post by pepsi »

James P wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:52 am If you want to use a plug with the same heat range, you might like to try B9EG, B9EV or B9EGV. These all have thinner electrodes, so are more resistant to fouling. Because the electrodes are thinner, they have to be made from more durable material than the copper electrodes of ES plugs, which means the EG/EV/EGV plugs tend to last longer. Of course, they are a bit more expensive!

Regards,
James
Why should I use resistor plugs with non resistor caps? Would having no resistors anywhere make the bike run funny?
James P
Oil Injector

Post by James P »

pepsi wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:18 pm Why should I use resistor plugs with non resistor caps? Would having no resistors anywhere make the bike run funny?
It shouldn't really matter, as long as you have a resistor somewhere in the circuit. The function of the resistor is to stop your ignition system affecting radio and television receivers in the area you are riding (or at least drastically reduce the effects) - it shouldn't necessarily affect the running of the bike.

Personally, I usually use plain spark plugs with resistor caps. You should get exactly the same effect using resistor plugs with plain caps. I'm not sure what the result will be if you use a resistor cap AND a resistor plug - it may vary depending on your set-up. Some bikes use this arrangement as standard, so you could find it makes no difference.
The most popular resistor size is 5k ohms, but plugs and caps are also available with 2k ohm and 10k ohm resistors.

Of course a greater value of resistance will reduce the energy dissipated in the spark (less current), but I have no idea how much resistance an ignition system will tolerate before performance is affected - I presume it will depend on various parameters (e.g. ignition voltage, plug gap, combustion pressure, type of fuel etc.).

Regards,
James
pepsi
Heavy Smoker

Post by pepsi »

The reason why I asked is because the PO changed out the plug wires and I do not know if they are resistor or non resistor types.