kr250s

The place to talk about your Tandem!
col
Premix Junkie

kr250s

Post by col »

i was browsing yahoo japan and came across a brochure for a kr250s.
whats the difference between this and a normal kr250 ?
StrokerBoy
Premix Junkie

Post by StrokerBoy »

The 'S' has a powervalve set up in the barrels/head. It's called KVSS (not KIPS) - Kawasaki exhaust Valve Synchronisation System. Doesn't add anything to top-end power, just fills in the midrange.

That's the main difference, other than the paintjob and fairing-mounted mirrors it's the same as the ordinary one. Rare though - I still don't have one (yet). :(

StrokerBoy
Premix Junkie

Post by StrokerBoy »

Found this nice original KR250S for sale, fair price too. 8) Trouble is, it's in California. :shock: Anyone wanna lend me a van with, erm, wings... :cry:

More pics/details available HERE.
Kawasaki KR250 Tandem Twin (x4) & KS-II 80,
Yamaha RD350LC,
Suzuki GSX-R750RK & RB50 Gag.
StrokerBoy
Premix Junkie

Post by StrokerBoy »

I've managed to get hold of a pair of 'S' barrels complete with powervalves, servo and linkages. 8)

They're a bit dirty :shock: but should clean up OK. Everything moves as it should. Can't see any damage.

Sadly I don't have the head or the control box so I can't just do a quick transplant. :cry: If anyone can help you know where I am. :wink:

Yamaha RD350LC,
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

I'm ssooooooooo jealous! :cry: :cry: :cry:

This is the first time I've ever seen 'S barrels =P~ =P~ =P~
Is there any difference in the port layout?
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
StrokerBoy
Premix Junkie

Post by StrokerBoy »

StrokerBoy wrote:I've managed to get hold of a pair of 'S' barrels complete with powervalves, servo and linkages. Sadly I don't have the head or the control box so I can't just do a quick transplant.
Not much chance of finding just a 'S' head for sale is there ? :(

Wrong ! Spotted one on Yahoo Japan and won it for 900 Yen (less than £5) ! :lol:

It came with the balance pipe too, though I still don't have a control unit to operate the servo, and I've just realised that the 'S' exhausts might be different too 'cos the barrels are a different shape. All jolly interesting though innit ? 8)

Yamaha RD350LC,
corvine
Light Smoker

Post by corvine »

My guess is they're the same pipes, I've the the same numbers stamped on all of mine K102/103. You should be able to tell if you offer up the different barrels to each other on a table and use some sort of measuring block. Are the part numbers the same? And also thats a sneaky way of getting a 250S.
alanw
Oil Injector

Post by alanw »

They dont look as if they have been worked very hard. Clean & fit.!......... Whats the best way to access yahoo auctions Japan. When I try the first page is English/Japanese soon as I try to move anywhere on the site I get Japanese only ? Alan.
Two in every one of us is Schiz-oo phrenic

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous

Gis the loan of your face I want to worry this rat
StrokerBoy
Premix Junkie

Post by StrokerBoy »

There are some tools that let you translate foreign-language web pages (eg. BabelFish) but I must admit I just read them in the native Japanese, as much as I can anyway. You'll need to use some kind of middleman/agent (eg. ok!shon) to do your bidding for you too.
Yamaha RD350LC,
alanw
Oil Injector

Post by alanw »

You can read Japanese :shock: I'm surprised the Japanese can read it :)
Two in every one of us is Schiz-oo phrenic

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous

Gis the loan of your face I want to worry this rat
StrokerBoy
Premix Junkie

Post by StrokerBoy »

corvine wrote:My guess is they're the same pipes, I've the the same numbers stamped on all of mine K102/103. You should be able to tell if you offer up the different barrels to each other on a table and use some sort of measuring block. Are the part numbers the same? And also thats a sneaky way of getting a 250S.
Good thinking Mick - it never occurred to me to check the partnumbers... :oops:

I have now though. They're the same. So not only are the mountings identical but so are the internals. 8)
Yamaha RD350LC,
scott.n
Light Smoker

Post by scott.n »

StrokerBoy wrote:The 'S' has a powervalve set up in the barrels/head. It's called KVSS (not KIPS) - Kawasaki exhaust Valve Synchronisation System. Doesn't add anything to top-end power, just fills in the midrange.

That's the main difference, other than the paintjob and fairing-mounted mirrors it's the same as the ordinary one. Rare though - I still don't have one (yet). :(

was it only s models that have fairing mounted mirrors? Found one i think..[/img]
"There is no substitute for a well tuned two-stroke"
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

scott.n wrote: was it only s models that have fairing mounted mirrors? Found one i think..[/img]
No, the later KR250 also got the fairing mounted mirrors, so you can't tell just by that. :(
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
StrokerBoy
Premix Junkie

Post by StrokerBoy »

scott.n wrote:was it only s models that have fairing mounted mirrors? Found one i think..
No. After 1985 ordinary non-S models had fairing-mounted mirrors, possibly depending on which market they were sold in. Only looking at the LHS top-end of the motor will confirm an 'S'.
Yamaha RD350LC,
StrokerBoy
Premix Junkie

Post by StrokerBoy »

I'm not updating this thread for any special reason. It's just that I took a couple of pics of my KVSS top-end at the weekend and thought it might help illustrate the differences from the normal model, for all those of you who think you've spotted an S for sale. [-o<

Pics are taken from the LHS, and clearly show the fat metal pipe that connects the extra chambers together in the heads. Below that, the round thing bolted to the front cylinder is the servo motor that has a linkage to each of the butterfly valves in the exhaust ports. That wire leads to the servo control box, which is the only part of the jigsaw (apart from a head gasket) I don't have yet.

Image Image
Yamaha RD350LC,