Airfilter

The place to talk about your Tandem!
tzr rider

Airfilter

Post by tzr rider »

Hi,
from germany I have no possibility to buy a new airfilter for the tandem twin.
What´s the situation in your country, has anybody here an advice for me where I can buy one.

Regards
Martin
StrokerBoy
Premix Junkie

Post by StrokerBoy »

I don't think they're available any more. :( Part-number is 11013-1114 if you're feeling lucky at your Kawasaki dealer.

I bought a flat sheet of airfilter foam from my local bike shop and made my own. If you've got the cone-shaped cage it's quite easy to get the shape right. Seems to work OK. :D

Kawasaki KR250 Tandem Twin (x4) & KS-II 80,
Yamaha RD350LC,
Suzuki GSX-R750RK & RB50 Gag.
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

:-k The one on the left looks pretty familiar Tim. :lol:
I was lucky enough to find a good one in one of the many tandems I've picked up. It had split along the join, but a bit of contact adheasive sorted that out.
I like what youve done with the filter foam. How'd you go about sealing it at the base?
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
StrokerBoy
Premix Junkie

Post by StrokerBoy »

Um, I confess that I gave the foam, the plastic cage and the old torn filter to my mum and she did all the work. I'm no good with a needle and thread. :oops:

It's sewn up the side seam and also to the cage at the top and bottom, can't really see in the pic. Seems quite a good seal when fastened to the airbox. Certainly better than the original 20-year-old filter, which was no doubt feeding itself into the carbs as I rode it home from the shop. :roll:
Yamaha RD350LC,
tzr rider

Post by tzr rider »

Thanx for your answers.
My Kawasaki Dealer said it isn´t available.
My problem is that I haven´t this cone-shaped cage. Has anyone more than one of it and could help me with it?
:oops:
alimorg
Site Admin

Post by alimorg »

Have you tried a universal one from K&N there is a search option HERE which allows you to enter the diameters you want, there could be something that will fit
Cheers
AL
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. " - Douglas Adams
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

Youl definately need the cone shaped cage as this not only holds it in shape, but also in place. Maybe you could try modifying a Pod filter from a car if you have no luck. :-k
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
StrokerBoy
Premix Junkie

Post by StrokerBoy »

tzr rider wrote:My problem is that I haven´t this cone-shaped cage. Has anyone more than one of it and could help me with it?
:oops:
I don't think I have a spare one. I've got a couple of airboxes but they have nothing inside. I'll check though.

I've just checked Yahoo Japan - there's One For Sale on there ! :D

Ask Moriwaki Man if you need help buying items from Yahoo. Tell him I sent you. :wink:

Good luck !
Yamaha RD350LC,
Bogan
Smoker

Post by Bogan »

Well this news just blows :(.

I pulled the top off my airbox the other day and while I do have the plastic cage mine has a sheet of panty hose material held onto it with electrical tape :lol:. I think I should do something better, but I'm sure this isn't what's causing my issues.
Cliff
Premix Junkie

Post by Cliff »

Bogan
Smoker

Post by Bogan »

Not to me, mine's a tandem twin, but maybe to someone else?
the KR kid
Heavy Smoker

Post by the KR kid »

Took the cover off my airbox today, for the first time since owning the bike! This is what I found...

There was no filter, and what remained at the top and bottom of the cage was an orange jelly-like sludge. What foam was still there dissolved in my hand!

Looks like I better buy some foam and get the the needle and cotton out, eh Tim?
Stop annoying me, I'm running out of space to hide the bodies!

GS750B
KH250B5
enduras_wr200
Light Smoker

Post by enduras_wr200 »

Hi there gents. I don't know what you'll think about it but I installed a WRP air filter for the Yamaha Raptor 660. It is the same diameter (large one) and only differs in the end of it but since there is that metallic lid to keep it on the cage, I see no problem. What do you think of that?
Under a pale grey (or blue) sky we (2Strokers) shall arise
StrokerBoy
Premix Junkie

Post by StrokerBoy »

enduras_wr200 wrote:Hi there gents. I don't know what you'll think about it but I installed a WRP air filter for the Yamaha Raptor 660. It is the same diameter (large one) and only differs in the end of it but since there is that metallic lid to keep it on the cage, I see no problem. What do you think of that?
Sounds good. Got any pics of it ?

Filter isn't too critical - just got to balance keeping crap out of the carbs with not restricting the flow of air too much. Seems like the most important thing for KR owners is that you check the state of yours to see if you've got a 25-year-old one that's rotted and fallen apart ! [-X
Yamaha RD350LC,
corvine
Light Smoker

Post by corvine »

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/Yamaha/YFM_ ... ir_Filter/

I think I'll change mine just in case!