What I miss?

The place to talk about your Tandem!
Ewok
lurker

What I miss?

Post by Ewok »

Hello! :o

My poor KR250 is rotting away in my garage while I'm in Japan, but I've been having a good read through here and was wondering if theres any interesting developments going on?

ie. Someone was making a naked KR - a great idea, something I'd really love to give a try considering as my fairings are all falling apart.

Did anyone work out an alternative piston?

Anyone using braided brake cables yet? :p
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

As far as alternative pistons go, no-one can confirm a direct replacement. The best I can find is the RG150 piston which requires an over-bore and shortening of the barrels, but will give you 300cc :mrgreen: . There's a lot of work involved in this conversion as far as I can see, and I probably wont be able to make a proper start on it for a quite a while yet.
The hardest part in finding a direct replacement is getting hold of piston spec sheets (please post up a link if you find one) so we can compare the dimensions. then comes the fun part of scaning through them all to find a match.

As for the naked KR (yeah, that's me too :roll: ) you can see the current progress pics here
viewtopic.php?t=1926&start=15
I'm still wiring in the Acewell digital dash, and am still to find some nice mirrors to suit.
If your thinking of doing this conversion yourself you may want to have a look at Tono's bike (this is the bike that inspired me to go naked) here
http://www.geocities.jp/fake_dimension_ ... r250e.html
His has had a lot more time spent on the conversion than mine, and the instrument cluster (couldn't find the right housing over here :( ) is something special.
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
StrokerBoy
Premix Junkie

Post by StrokerBoy »

Hi Ewok.

While you're in Japan, you should be building up a stash of all those hard-to-find parts to fit to your KR when you get home. :D

I tried to get someone to make me a set of braided hoses to the same design as the standard ones - ie. with the two-ended banjo on the front to let you keep the anti-dive plumbed in. No-one wanted to know, although I did get some new rubber ones made eventually. If you're happy to blank off the AVDS, it should be easy enough to get some steel hoses made up though.

My KR250R project's not going anywhere at the moment. I need a big kick up the arse really. Maybe you could send me a set of those cool AlphaRacing pipes over from Japan to encourage me... :wink:
Kawasaki KR250 Tandem Twin (x4) & KS-II 80,
Yamaha RD350LC,
Suzuki GSX-R750RK & RB50 Gag.
Ewok
lurker

Post by Ewok »

ScottaKR wrote:The best I can find is the RG150 piston which requires an over-bore and shortening of the barrels, but will give you 300cc
Oh no, what a disaster :mrgreen:

As for the naked KR (yeah, that's me too :roll: ) you can see the current progress pics here
viewtopic.php?t=1926&start=15
I'm still wiring in the Acewell digital dash, and am still to find some nice mirrors to suit.
If your thinking of doing this conversion yourself you may want to have a look at Tono's bike (this is the bike that inspired me to go naked) here
http://www.geocities.jp/fake_dimension_ ... r250e.html[/quote]

Well the engine in mine is alright, it could do with having the cylinders replated and new pistons. I've got a collection of stuffed cylinders and a couple dead pistons - as you know KR parts are plenty in Australia, they just charge you an arm and a leg because they know if you are wanting, you'll be willing to pay :-&

Certainly looks really good - I know someone who does automotive painting - If I good get a nice dark metallic green on some decent rear fairings I'd be over the moon....
StrokerBoy wrote:While you're in Japan, you should be building up a stash of all those hard-to-find parts to fit to your KR when you get home. :D
Don't I know it, just need somewhere to hide half a dozen cheap KR's from the wife :twisted:

Whats very interesting to me is you can buy a KR250 second hand in very good condition for a very nice price - theres currently 8 available here: http://www.goobike.com/search/maker_4/1 ... index.html

I've always loved how simple the two stroke design is - you could take the entire engine apart over the weekend, replace this or that, and on monday it would run like a dream.

(Wednesday morning I'd be late for work because coolant has seeped into the front cylinder since the bolt isn't holding properly, but we don't talk about that....)

I've said it before, but if theres anything you want I'd be happy to chuck it in a box and lie to customs for you :lol:
StrokerBoy
Premix Junkie

Post by StrokerBoy »

Ewok wrote:I've said it before, but if theres anything you want I'd be happy to chuck it in a box and lie to customs for you :lol:
Yeah, I know, ta. 8) I know a couple of other people over there who will do the same - and have, several times, which is why I'm so skint... :cry:
Kawasaki KR250 Tandem Twin (x4) & KS-II 80,
Yamaha RD350LC,
Suzuki GSX-R750RK & RB50 Gag.
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

How many people are looking for pistons ? must be at least 5, maybe 10, maybe if you put them on ebay a lot more.

So why don't you guys have some made by Wiseco or Woessner ? Let's say you get 10 people that will buy them, and each buys 2 sets, you already have 40 piston's, I'm pretty sure that's enough to have them made without the price being too much. You could have made 50 and sell the 10 others on ebay.

Problem is somebody will have to stick out his neck. Why don't you all agree that the one that does that will have one set for free. meaning a piston will cost 50/48th off the total price.

Ask wiseco or Woessner for a price (at how many piston's) and find out what is possible :?:
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
Stormdragon

Post by Stormdragon »

For brake lines I sent mine off to http://www.spieglerusa.com and had a nice new set back in 2 or 3 days. To pick a nit, they were about 2~3mm too long between the passthrough banjo and the final banjo on the fork legs, but other than the slight curve to the line, it's unnoticeable. Their phone communication was great as well.
Motorcycle roadracing makes heroin addiction seem like a vague wish for something salty -Peter Egan