newby kr owner

The place to talk about your Tandem!
cwhawkes
lurker

newby kr owner

Post by cwhawkes »

hi :)

I'm new to the kr250. I own a kr250a1 and I am just wondering if they are worth doing up to race. I bought mine a month ago for $140NZ and just about everything was there, it was only missing the battery, the left handlebar clutch and panel assembly, rear left indicator, the neutral switch and side stand switch and the oiler tube between the oiler pump and intake was broken. Apart from that everything else was good to go. The bike only had 14 000 km on the clock and all the engine internals look good. Is there anyone on this from New Zealand who can help me out with any of these parts. I'll put up some pics of it if anyne is interested and I can figure out how to.
1st project - KR250A1, not quiet going
2nd project - NS250R, warranted and registered - Now SOLD
3rd run-around bike - Yamaha Scorpio SX-4 - Now Sold
4th run-around bike - GSX600FL with straight through after-market stainless pipes :D!
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

G'day from across the pond mate. :mrgreen:
Sounds like a right bargain youve picked up there. We do have a few Kiwi members, but most of them have KR1/KR1S's.
A lot of the time youll find it easier and cheaper to buy a spares bike rather than to buy a heap of individual parts, so keep an eye out on www.trademe.co.nz as well as all the other bike tradig sites over there (there seems to be heaps).
To post up pics, youll need to open an account with photobucket (or something similar), upload your pic to there, then copy the the "image" link below the pic and paste it into your post. If posting multiple pics, always remember to press enter between the links or the pics will end up side by side makeing the posts too wide to fit on the screen.

Oh #-o , and welcome to the forum mate. :wink:
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
col
Premix Junkie

Post by col »

hello mate, i'm down here in NZ but as yet i'm still to find a decent kr1/1s.
You didnt get it off trade me did you? i was watching one a few weeks ago
but missed the finnish and didnt see what it went for.
You might want to have a look at http://kr250.org/KR_home.htm .
Tim has put together a great site specifically for the KR250 tandem and you'll probably get more from there than you will from here.
How about sticking a rotax tanden twin in it instead? (theres one on trade me at the moment)
StrokerBoy
Premix Junkie

Post by StrokerBoy »

Sounds like you've got a good deal there. Keep an eye out for donor bikes and scour the breakers yards for parts - they're thin on the ground these days but still more plentiful where you are than here in the UK. Best source is Japan - look on Yahoo Page and ask 'Unobtanium' to help you. :wink:

As for racing, depends what classes you've got running near you but there are a couple of people still racing KR's in Oz - have a look at the bottom of my Racing Page.

Good luck. Get some photos up. If you have any questions or need a copy of the workshop manual etc, let me know.

Col, you don't fancy a proper KR yourself then ? About time you got something... :lol:
Kawasaki KR250 Tandem Twin (x4) & KS-II 80,
Yamaha RD350LC,
Suzuki GSX-R750RK & RB50 Gag.