What's a Tandem Twin ?

The place to talk about your Tandem!
StrokerBoy
Premix Junkie

What's a Tandem Twin ?

Post by StrokerBoy »

For those of you that don't know, Kawasaki launched the KR250A back in 1984 to celebrate 4 consecutive years of winning the 250 & 350cc World GP Championships. Kawasaki UK didn't import it, in fact it only officially reached South Africa, New Zealand and Australia as well as the home market.

It's a watercooled two-stroke twin, but with the cylinders placed in-line instead of the more conventional side-by-side. It's called 'tandem' instead of V-twin because each piston has it's own crank rather than sharing one. It uses the 'RRIS' method of disc & reed valve induction (like the AR125). There was also a KR250S with a 'KVSS' powervalve top-end. The motor was housed in an aluminium square-section frame with underslung rear shock and conventional forks with 'AVDS' anti-dive.

I got one in 2002 and struggled to find out anything about it. I started a website (KR250.ORG) to document what I discovered and I'm in touch with KR owners all over the world now. There's an owners club in Japan with their own bulletin board but there's no English-text forum... until now ! We've been given our own section on here to discuss anything to do with the original (and best :wink: ) KR. Ask questions, post pictures, advertise for parts - it's up to you !

ImageImageImageImage
col
Premix Junkie

Post by col »

i saw one up at rivington barn a couple of weeks ago with one of your kr.org stickers on the tail section. it drew quite a crowd and there wre lots of head scratchers who didnt have clue what to make of the engine layout.
cardiffcarl
Smoker

Post by cardiffcarl »

Erm...thanks, I had been wondering about them, but what are they like to ride/own etc?
Cliff
Premix Junkie

Post by Cliff »

Been looking for year's, but i still haven't seen one :cry: .
Red Devil 777
Premix Junkie

Post by Red Devil 777 »

I remember them coming into Huddersfield Kawasaki and riding my valve over the tops to have a look at one, was tempted but stuck with the Yam-
Showing my age now :)
StrokerBoy
Premix Junkie

Post by StrokerBoy »

cardiffcarl wrote:what are they like to ride/own etc?
They were cutting-edge in their day, all the latest kit like an ally frame, 16" front wheel, anti-dive etc. 45 bhp was up there too.

Bit dated now though obviously. :wink: They're very narrow 'cos of the inline engine and the bars are fixed at a strange angle, so it's an odd riding position. 16" front wheel and skinny tyres don't make for top handling these days either. And the anti-dive is best bypassed...

Nowt wrong with the motor - goes very nicely and makes a great sound. 8) Gutless below 7000rpm then it really takes off. They can be difficult to start but no-one knows why. :roll:

Spares are thin on the ground but not impossible - I've had parts sent from Japan and Australia and pistons/gaskets. etc are still available new. Good bodywork is hard to find. Every part is unique to the KR apart from a few bits like brakes and the anti-dive. Workshop manual available from me.

Obviously I love 'em but my TZR Reverse Cylinder feels about 20 years more modern in every way (they're both on an H-plate ! :shock: ). Buy one if you fancy one - you won't get tired of admiring all the little details on it and it will always provoke interest from people, but think of it as a classic bike, not a nutters track weapon.
nzkrnut

Post by nzkrnut »

They're the best ones alrite!! I've got two in my shed!! Yay!! one day, they'll go... :roll:
I have never driven a car, and i NEVER will!
nzkrnut

Post by nzkrnut »

They're the best ones alrite!! I've got two in my shed!! Yay!! one day, they'll go... :roll: :lol:
mboddy
lurker

Post by mboddy »

A couple of pics in this post:
viewtopic.php?t=188
Mark Boddy
PCRA New Era subcommittee
Ewok
lurker

Post by Ewok »

I've still got my KR250 sitting in a garage in Australia. After the top gasket died and I ran out of cylinders to knacker I couldn't sell it, but I'm giving serious thought to buying another (perfect body work - dead engine) and making a new, improved KR as a bit of fun :) Being in Japan helps as I can get my hands on parts now, and send them back to Aus.

If you want some parts Strokerboy.... 8)
StrokerBoy
Premix Junkie

Post by StrokerBoy »

Ewok wrote:I've still got my KR250 sitting in a garage in Australia. After the top gasket died and I ran out of cylinders to knacker I couldn't sell it, but I'm giving serious thought to buying another (perfect body work - dead engine) and making a new, improved KR as a bit of fun :)
Yeah, do it. 8)
Ewok wrote:Being in Japan helps as I can get my hands on parts now, and send them back to Aus. If you want some parts Strokerboy.... 8)
I want a powervalve top-end from a KR250S - barrels, head, valves and servo. If these parts exist anywhere it'll be in Japan. Cash waiting... :wink:
nzkrnut

Post by nzkrnut »

Ewok, could you price out a full gasket, seals, and bearings kit? two piston kits, and maybe nikasil liners.
:shock:
Thanks. :wink:
freway
lurker

NZ KR's

Post by freway »

nzkrnut wrote:They're the best ones alrite!! I've got two in my shed!! Yay!! one day, they'll go... :roll: :lol:
Howdy, I got 2 1/2 of them. One actually goes and I use.
Where in NZ are you? I am in Auckland :D
Don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.
nzkrnut

Re: NZ KR's

Post by nzkrnut »

freway wrote: Where in NZ are you? I am in Auckland :D
Up north mate. Mangonui, with that famous fish shop! :wink: Sent you a PM.
freway
lurker

Re: NZ KR's

Post by freway »

Up north mate. Mangonui, with that famous fish shop! :wink: Sent you a PM.

Cool, been there lovely bit of country that. :)
Don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.