Crankshaft seals

The place to talk about your Tandem!
dougindoors
Heavy Smoker

Crankshaft seals

Post by dougindoors »

Hi got my dummy head on :? , when the tandem engine sucks the gearbox oil in and burns it due to crankshaft seal failure is it normally the seals on the rris side (RH) that fail, as looking at drawing i can not see how it can suck in g/box oil on the waterpump side (LH)
thanks in advance doug.
1984 Kawasaki KR250A
no projects, OOPS!1987 Kawasaki AR125B4
Every 2 in 1 poeple are schizophrenic
If you can not fix it with a hammer it must be electrical
2 Smokey and they bandit
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

There is an oil passage that runs to the water pump side, and baths the stator in oil. At least that's what I've found in every one I've pulled down (which is a few now :oops: ).
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
dougindoors
Heavy Smoker

crank seals

Post by dougindoors »

cheers for info, the reason for asking is when the bike was purchased from AUS. the guy said it had a crank seal gone as when it was run it was smoking badly from one cylinder and spitting oil out the exhaust, so i guess its burning gearbox oil, the only way i could see that happening from the drawings in the manual was via the oil seals in the RRIS area that run on the crankshaft dampers or possibly the o rings around the reed valve plate and on the crank under the dampers. I could'nt see any way that oil could be drawn into the engine from the water pump or 2 stroke pump area. does that make sense.
1984 Kawasaki KR250A
2 Smokey and they bandit
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

Youll see it when you pull it down. Had me stumped the first time I pulled that side off one to find oil come pissing out. :oops: :-k
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
cwhawkes
lurker

Post by cwhawkes »

I've got the same problem of the gearbox oil leaking in through the crankshaft seal :( , but I can't find anywhere that supplies replacement crankshaft seals :cry: . Could anyone help me out with sourcing a set of these seals :?:
Cheers :!: :wink:
1st project - KR250A1, not quiet going
2nd project - NS250R, warranted and registered - Now SOLD
3rd run-around bike - Yamaha Scorpio SX-4 - Now Sold
4th run-around bike - GSX600FL with straight through after-market stainless pipes :D!
dougindoors
Heavy Smoker

crankseals

Post by dougindoors »

i managed to get some from cradley kawasaki in uk, if you note down the part nos from the kr250.org site (there is a full parts book on there) and try your local kawasaki dealer failing that your gonna have to strip and take the seals to a bearing and seal factors part nos. 92049-1187 X 2 and 92049-1213 X2 the later may not be availble from kawasaki and you will have to pattern hope this helps doug
1984 Kawasaki KR250A
2 Smokey and they bandit