Gaskets / seals

The place to talk about your Tandem!
250 drummie
Heavy Smoker

Gaskets / seals

Post by 250 drummie »

Can you still buy crank seals and head gaskets for the Tandem. And if not what is the go when you need some. Can you goo up the old head gasket and get another use out of it. I changed the oil in my gearbox last week and there seemed to be petrol in the oil although I cant be 100% sure as I use the tray for everything. But I am preparing for the worst. #-o
StrokerBoy
Premix Junkie

Post by StrokerBoy »

Haven't tried to buy either of those items for a while now. Wouldn't be too confident you'll find any. But phone round some Kawasaki dealers using the partnumbers you'll find on my My Site, you may be lucky. At least Kawasaki Australia know what a KR250A is.

Not sure if/how you can re-use an old head gasket. You might be able to find one off another model that will do the trick, use the template below to try matching one (print it off at 100% :wink: ). I can't see why a one-piece gasket is necessary.

Kawasaki KR250 Tandem Twin (x4) & KS-II 80,
Yamaha RD350LC,
Suzuki GSX-R750RK & RB50 Gag.
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

Don't know about the crank seals, but you can recycle the old head gasket. Try a bit of h0ndabond on it and you should be fine.
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

have an O-ring installed, and you never need a head gasket again 8)
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
250 drummie
Heavy Smoker

Post by 250 drummie »

The O ring may be the go if the gasket doesnt seal up. I am going to run it a bit and see what happens the bike had been sitting for years judging by the rest of it when I got it if they had put petrol in the gearbox instead of the tank it wouldnt surprise me ](*,)
I will make a few calls and see what turns up.
250 drummie
Heavy Smoker

Post by 250 drummie »

Update on the seals is yes Kawasaki in Sydney got me the crank seals and the base gaskets are on back order. I have'nt picked them up yet but I presume they are correct and for $30 well priced. I also scored a KR workshop manual if anyone needs some info.
250 drummie
Heavy Smoker

Post by 250 drummie »

The base gaskets have now come in also so I will nip around and get them. No good on the head gasket but if anyone is interested the crank seals are Kawasaki part no 92049-1478 and they are nothing special ao I would fancy my chances down the local seal supplier. They are NOK AE13121 6 . I got these for $13.20 for the pair 8)
Must be the only cheap Kawasaki parts around.