My KR250 Project

The place to talk about your Tandem!
250 drummie
Heavy Smoker

Post by 250 drummie »

Are you sure the throttle cable is right and adjusted properly? Start the bike again and lift the slide by pulling the cable from the top of the carb by hand one by one and see if anything happens. Also is the choke shutting off fully? If not it will just bog when you try to rev it. Plunger type chokes have a habit of siezing. Also make sure the cables are seated fully in the junction box.
Bogan
Smoker

Post by Bogan »

I found this here:

viewtopic.php?t=5482
dougindoors wrote:...the guy said it had a crank seal gone as when it was run it was smoking badly from one cylinder and spitting oil out the exhaust, so i guess its burning gearbox oil, the only way i could see that happening from the drawings in the manual was via the oil seals in the RRIS area that run on the crankshaft dampers or possibly the o rings around the reed valve plate and on the crank under the dampers. I could'nt see any way that oil could be drawn into the engine from the water pump or 2 stroke pump area. does that make sense.
Sounds awfully familiar, massive smoke from the front pot and lots of liquid oil in the pipe?

Now if I want to pull the engine apart and refresh it, I'm pretty sure head gaskets are NLA from Kawasaki, but I might be able to get the base gaskets, and crank seals?

Which crank seals do I need and where do they go? I have found the following part numbers mentioned but the parts book is a little hard to read:

92049-1187 (x2) Right Side???
92049-1213 (x2) Induction Seals???
92049-1478 (??) Can't find these in the parts book???

I don't want to pull it apart if I can't get parts to put it back toghether, how much do I pull apart in the quest to have it running right and what parts do I need to order?
StrokerBoy
Premix Junkie

Post by StrokerBoy »

Bogan wrote:Sounds awfully familiar, massive smoke from the front pot and lots of liquid oil in the pipe?

Now if I want to pull the engine apart and refresh it, I'm pretty sure head gaskets are NLA from Kawasaki, but I might be able to get the base gaskets, and crank seals?

Which crank seals do I need and where do they go? I have found the following part numbers mentioned but the parts book is a little hard to read:

92049-1187 (x2) Right Side???
92049-1213 (x2) Induction Seals???
92049-1478 (??) Can't find these in the parts book???

I don't want to pull it apart if I can't get parts to put it back toghether, how much do I pull apart in the quest to have it running right and what parts do I need to order?
In the thread where you found that diagnosis and the part-numbers, Doug said that he managed to get some from Cradley Kawasaki in the UK. You can try any Kawasaki dealer with those part-numbers. The partsbook also gives you some info to try with aftermarket suppliers, your local bearing factors or an internet search. 1187 is TC25406 for example.

92049-1213 goes on the outside of the disc valves, should be able to reach those pretty easily. 92049-1187 requires a crankcase strip. By the way, in my copy of the partsbook, there's a misprint and one of those is captioned 42049 in the key.

I can't see 92049-1478 in the partsbook either - where did you get that number from ? If it's valid, they may have substituted a compatible part with a different number later on.
Kawasaki KR250 Tandem Twin (x4) & KS-II 80,
Yamaha RD350LC,
Suzuki GSX-R750RK & RB50 Gag.
Bogan
Smoker

Post by Bogan »

StrokerBoy wrote:92049-1213 goes on the outside of the disc valves, should be able to reach those pretty easily. 92049-1187 requires a crankcase strip. By the way, in my copy of the partsbook, there's a misprint and one of those is captioned 42049 in the key.
Yeah we noticed that last night, I've got my local dealer on the hunt for an english copy of parts diagrams, we'll see what he comes up with.
StrokerBoy wrote:I can't see 92049-1478 in the partsbook either - where did you get that number from ? If it's valid, they may have substituted a compatible part with a different number later on.
Here:

viewtopic.php?t=6109
250 drummie
Heavy Smoker

Post by 250 drummie »

Correct, head gaskets cant be got but crank seals and base gaskets can. I got some a few months back for mine as spares from Kawasaki in Sydney. Your pipe may be full of oil just due to it flooding while trying to start it over time by previous owners. You should make sure they are gone before you strip it. My MVX pisses out fuel and oil from one of the front cylinders when I start it first due to a dodgy coil, then it cuts in and its away \:D/ .
miuganlee

bbbbb

Post by miuganlee »

Good..
Bogan
Smoker

Re: bbbbb

Post by Bogan »

This project is now for sale, $500 ono pick up from Canberra or freight at your cost. I sadly don't have the time or inclination to spend on getting it running properly.

PM me or call or text 04 six six 42 six 42 six.

Cheers,

Tony