My KR250 Project

The place to talk about your Tandem!
Bogan
Smoker

My KR250 Project

Post by Bogan »

It's a bit of a basket case at the moment, but outlay has been restricted to purchase price, battery and pillion seat (a missing piece of the puzzle).

Pics as follows as delivered (I've just placed the fairing in place):

Plan is:
  • Get it running
  • Put all the pieces together and see how it goes
  • Restore the bodywork to as close to original as I can without spending a fortune
:)
Last edited by Bogan on Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StrokerBoy
Premix Junkie

Post by StrokerBoy »

Good plan. You've got a factory manual there which should help. Plus access to all the clever people on here. :lol: Good luck, keep us updated please.

Tank and tailpiece seem to be off a silver one. Stick with that paintjob, it'll be easy and cheap and the silver ones are v.cool ('cos most of 'em have been resprayed green/white).
Kawasaki KR250 Tandem Twin (x4) & KS-II 80,
Yamaha RD350LC,
Suzuki GSX-R750RK & RB50 Gag.
Bogan
Smoker

Post by Bogan »

Nah it was all green and white, some of it is silver, some of it is black and one piece still has the factory paint. The paint is the last thing I'm gonna worry about anyway :).
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Go for silver :)

the KR kid
Heavy Smoker

Post by the KR kid »

Silver. Don't see many about, and will be easier to paint! :lol:
Stop annoying me, I'm running out of space to hide the bodies!

GS750B
KH250B5
StrokerBoy
Premix Junkie

Post by StrokerBoy »

I was offered a nice original silver one a couple of years ago, knew the seller and it was a good price too. Said no for some reason. Bike has now been resprayed green/white just like all the others... #-o
Kawasaki KR250 Tandem Twin (x4) & KS-II 80,
Yamaha RD350LC,
Suzuki GSX-R750RK & RB50 Gag.
Sheik Yerbouti
Heavy Smoker

Post by Sheik Yerbouti »

Good to see another Tandem getting put back together. Stay away from those pansy parallel twins :lol:
Speak up if ya need any parts. I've got more than one of most things and scott on here probably owns the worlds largest private collection of kr bits.
Good luck with the resto.
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

I agree with Tim and the rest about painting it Silver. They look damn fine, and much tidier than the green/white.
Sheik Yerbouti wrote:Good to see another Tandem getting put back together. Stay away from those pansy parallel twins :lol:
I can tell you now from experience that the parallel twins are much more reliable and heaps faster. :twisted: Your just biased.
Sheik Yerbouti wrote:quot;]Speak up if ya need any parts. I've got more than one of most things and scott on here probably owns the worlds largest private collection of kr bits.
Would you be refering to me there? :-k I'm sure there's people out there (Tim :lol: ) with a lot more than me. Most of my colection is KR1/KR1S nowdays.
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
Bogan
Smoker

Post by Bogan »

Sheik Yerbouti wrote:Speak up if ya need any parts. I've got more than one of most things and scott on here probably owns the worlds largest private collection of kr bits.
I picked up a rear seat off ebay, one thing I need is the little circle part in the hole in the front fairing. The parts book indicates there are more than one version, what's the go with that? Is it just a cutout so you can get to the radiator cap?
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

The different versions is probably just for the different color schemes.
Got a black one of them here spare. It's got one of the tabs broken off, but it still holds in just fine.
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
Bogan
Smoker

Post by Bogan »

So the latest news is that I have two pillion seats now, the guy I bought it off found one at his house :twisted:.

And I have the missing radiator cap fairing piece (thanks Scott).

And last night I disassembled the fuel tap and found the holes on each side where the two elbows plug in from the carby hoses (I was trying to connect one of the elbows to the vacuum line fitting :lol: ) and I'm in the process of cleaning out all the gasket gunk the previous owner has tried to make seals with (where it mates to the tank and where the switch is).

Once I get it all cleaned out I'll put in the new seals I bought, hook it all up, fill it with fuel and see if I can at least get it to start. That will be this weekend.

Wish me luck.

Once it runs I'll put some fluid in the front brake lines and tootle it up and down the street, check the rest of the mechanicals over (I think the fork seals are leaking) and then find some correct bolts to attach the fairings.

Only after that will I spray them all one colour, and take it for a rego inspection, I can't wait to ride this thing to see how it compares to my 1991 RGV250.

:)
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Good luck on getting it started, but you can't compare it with a 91' RGV, it's RG Gamma era.
Sheik Yerbouti
Heavy Smoker

Post by Sheik Yerbouti »

Good work mate, keep us posted on how ya go. The biggest problem I had with mine was getting a rich enough starting mixture. With the motor being a bit tired and the crank seal arrangement on the inlet side a bit leaky, (I think) and the carbies not having idle mixture adjustment to try and work around it a bit. I wound up getting a siringe full of petrol and squirting a bit down the throat of each carb and it started like a dream. Removing the balance pipe (why is there a balance pipe?) and plugging up the holes worked as well, but the thing wont idle properly that way, and again, no idle mixture adjustment to try to work around that either....
TwoStroke Institute
Oil Injector

Post by TwoStroke Institute »

If you remove the balance pipe run 1 or 2 jets richer in the rear cylinder.
crochet & croquet
Bogan
Smoker

Post by Bogan »

The good news is that the fuel tap doesn't leak :), the bad news is that there's fuel pissing out the drain holes in the bottom of both the carbies :(.

It was leaking heaps of fuel, but I tried starting it anyway, no joy :(. Have to do some surgery on the carbies by the looks of it.