New tandem Starts, then stops. Also, hello from Oz

The place to talk about your Tandem!
CXPHREAK

Post by CXPHREAK »

glidercoach wrote:Make sure you remove the smaller jet behind the main jet. Clear it out with a small wire from a wire brush, then carb cleaner... A needle is too big to go through it. I just had this problem and missed the smaller jet. The bike runs perfect now! Thanks to all the guys on this forum who gave me support for my ride!
O.K..... did this, as you said they would be these jets were blocked solid. Cleaned them out with oxy acetylene tip cleaner set, carb cleaner and compressed air,- problem still persists. Float levels are 22mm, is this correct? ](*,)
Rebuild 'em and ride 'em.
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

Yeah, that's pretty close. The manual says 21mm +/-2mm, so your within tolerances. I take it youv tried running it with the fuel tap on prime in case the vacum diaphram in the tap isn't working well.
Might be worth putting a compression tester on it just so we can rule it out. Your looking for between 107 - 164psi depending on how fresh the engine is.
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
CXPHREAK

Post by CXPHREAK »

Thanks for that Scotta. The problem is definitely not with the fuel tap as am running it {or attempting to} through a funnel tube. Thanks for the compression figures, will check this out. As mentioned in my initial post it will continue to run with ether {start ya bastard} sprayed into the carbs but since this presumably is more easily combustable than petrol I guess you could be right about the compression. :-k P.S., as an added precaution I reckon I might soak the carbs in white vinegar for a few days just in case there's calcium deposits lurking somewhere innaccessable.
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

How does the compression feel when you kick her over?

For what it's worth, I think your on the right track with the carbs being the issue. They can be right evil bastards some times.
CXPHREAK

Post by CXPHREAK »

It DOES feel a tad easy to kick over to me but 2 strokes always feel that way to me. Will get the compression gauge onto it when I get the chance. Cheers.
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

If it does feel too easy to kick, you're doing the right thing with the compression test.

Good luck.
glidercoach
Smoker

Post by glidercoach »

I've never heard of using white vinegar. How well does it work? Make sure you blow all the passages well in the carb. You may also have a secondary ignition issue. You said you can keep it running with carb cleaner right? If so disregard the latter!
CXPHREAK

Post by CXPHREAK »

To be honest I have never tried the vinegar method myself but I know others who have done so with success. It works similarly to CLR but is not so aggressive. Drop an egg into white vinegar to see what this will do to calcium. Disolving calcium seems to be the vinegars one trick so you don't have to worry too much what else it is eating while your carb is marinating in it, unlike the CLR which works a lot quicker but can do things you don't want it to do if you're not quick/careful enough. :D
Bogan
Smoker

Post by Bogan »

It's been a while since any updates, what's new here? What are your plans for the bike? Mine runs now and I plan to get it registerable and use for a cheap runabout, maybe we should be having a race :).
fred
Oil Injector

Post by fred »

yea and ime getting hungry
CXPHREAK

Post by CXPHREAK »

Sorry to leave you fellers hanging on this one.
I actually sold these 2 bikes and they've gone to a new home in Vic.
Never did get it to run either but thankyou all that offered me tips.
Cheers, CXPHREAk.