Throttle cable

The place to talk about your Tandem!
StrokerBoy
Premix Junkie

Throttle cable

Post by StrokerBoy »

Can't ignore the heavy throttle on my bike any more. Removed the carbs today to get the throttle cable off. Assumed that's where the problem was, and I think I'm right - there's a lot of resistance even with everything disconnected off the bike.

I've got a new (old stock) cable which moves a lot more freely. But when I put old and new alongside, they're different at the handlebar end. :shock: Don't know yet if this is a problem, the cables seem the same length with the same fittings, guess we'll see.

The new one is the top one with the bigger more gentle bend to it. Not sure how accurate the parts book pic is but looks like I've had the wrong one fitted up to now. :-k

Kawasaki KR250 Tandem Twin (x4) & KS-II 80,
Yamaha RD350LC,
Suzuki GSX-R750RK & RB50 Gag.
StrokerBoy
Premix Junkie

Post by StrokerBoy »

Finally got round to fitting the new cable yesterday. Mixed up the carb tops (rear one has the tighter bend to clear the frame), then the fuel pipes too (rear one is the lower one). :roll:

All back together - no difference. Heavy throttle that doesn't return on its own. Arse. :x

After a test ride that didn't fix the problem, I pulled it apart again at the handlebar end. And discovered that the twistgrip was glued to the bar with dried grease and a bit of corrosion. Cleaned it up, squirt of light oil under the grip, sorted.

So, to answer my original question, either style of cable will work OK, but check the simpler stuff first... :oops:
Yamaha RD350LC,
Bikemike
Premix Junkie

Post by Bikemike »

Glad it is not just me who does things like that. I once spent about an hour dismantling cleaning and re-fitting the front and rear brake switches to fix the brake light. Guess what the fault was- Yup, the bulb was blown #-o
Need Break down cover? P.m. me.
StrokerBoy
Premix Junkie

Post by StrokerBoy »

Bikemike wrote:Glad it is not just me who does things like that. I once spent about an hour dismantling cleaning and re-fitting the front and rear brake switches to fix the brake light. Guess what the fault was- Yup, the bulb was blown #-o
:lol:
Yamaha RD350LC,
saeid

Post by saeid »

I whish I had old throttle & choke cables to work with or at least get their
measurement. Finaly bought few cables belonging to Kawasaki GTO 125
and by cutting and soldering the ends and after several attempts made the
cables of correct length at last! Each individual length of these cables has
adjuster plus locknuts.
miuganlee