Cleaning a fuel tank????

Plastic bits and Paint
enigma-manson

Cleaning a fuel tank????

Post by enigma-manson »

Hi all,
I’ve just got my fuel tank back from having a re-spray. I want to give inside of the tank a bit of a clean before I put any fuel in it. Can anyone tell me the best way to go about it?
Any help is appreciated
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

I clean them out with loads of solvent and then Petseal the inside.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk
alanw
Oil Injector

Post by alanw »

Make sure the paint is FULLY cured :roll: & what ever you end up using be sure it doesn't lunch on that particular paint type :x . Couple of pints of petrol in & shake the tank till your nose bleeds. If it were me. Alan.
Two in every one of us is Schiz-oo phrenic

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous

Gis the loan of your face I want to worry this rat
Spliffyaid
Smoker

Post by Spliffyaid »

Small ball bearings will remove any loose stuff, as mentioned, shake like a mad man and petseal :)
Fuelled by 1664
headcoats
Avgas Sniffer

Post by headcoats »

Can it yer old boiler
KR-1R
Premix Junkie

cleaning fuel tanks

Post by KR-1R »

. after removing the fuel tap assembly, I used what i had at hand which was pea gravel (pea sized metal/road base coarse) and some water to make an abrasive slurry...SHAKEN NOT STIRRED

what i couldnt shake out or flush out afterwards I sucked up with a vacuum cleaner hose.

BETTER - If youre repainting a tank...
...rather than spending hours stripping and sanding the old tank down
take it along to your local Chrome Platers and have them dip strip the tank for you [and even nickel plate it afterwards]. This should remove any trace of corrosion from the inside.

WORKS WONDERFULLY ON REMOVING EVERY ONCE OF BURNT CRUD UP YOUR EXPANSION CHAMBERS TOO
fatboy
Smoker

Post by fatboy »

Have just purchased the kit that headcoats has a link to, going to attempt to seal mine soon, so will post an update on the results. my tank had perforated on the underside near the tap, managed to spot it (big paint blister!!) before it dripped petrol on a hot engine #-o !!!!
fzrman
Smoker

Re: cleaning fuel tanks

Post by fzrman »

KR-1R wrote:BETTER - If youre repainting a tank...
...rather than spending hours stripping and sanding the old tank down
take it along to your local Chrome Platers and have them dip strip the tank for you [and even nickel plate it afterwards]. This should remove any trace of corrosion from the inside.

WORKS WONDERFULLY ON REMOVING EVERY ONCE OF BURNT CRUD UP YOUR EXPANSION CHAMBERS TOO
can you recommend any platers who are happy to do gummed up bike parts?
pablo
Premix Junkie

Post by pablo »

I used this on a Z1 tank that had had fuel/crap in for years came up mint

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp? ... ostSubcat=
glidercoach
Smoker

Post by glidercoach »

I know this is an old post but this fix kicks ass and is cheap! You need a 12 volt battery charger a steel bar and a pvc pipe with holes drilled into it. . Remove and seal petcock and fuel sending unit. Mix up 1 cup of sodium carbonate to 5 gallons of water and fill the tank to the brim. Put the negative lead to tank and suspend the steel bar inside the pvc pipe in where you filled the tank. Attach the positive lead to the bar. Make sure the bar is not shorted to the inside of the tank. Plug in the charger. Bubbles will form from this process which will explode if exposed to a flame so do this outside. After a few days drain and wash out the muck. Warning! Do not reverse the polarity, you will destroy your tank! The steel bar will be consumed from this process when set up correctly. All the rust in the tank will turn black and it will not harm the good metal. Google 12volt rust removal and sodium carbonate and find the fine details of this process! The mixture can be reused over an over and if you a graphite bar, it will stay cleaner. Do not use anything else!