A new combination

Plastic bits and Paint
scooble
Premix Junkie

A new combination

Post by scooble »

Ok, just finished putting my KR back together (finally), seat still needs more work with the paint, a few runs here and there and the rest in good need of some elbow grease and T cut.
Anyway, the changes since last year are;
ZX636 forks - Re-engineered by Mick Gardner
GSXR600 calipers and master cylinder
Aprilia RS125 fairing - modified
H0nda CBR600RR (2006) seat - Very modified

only trouble now is that the engine won't start (no spark), the hi beam switch turns the ignition off and the neautral light don't work - I hate electrickry - its the devils work!
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

Now thats looking nice. :D Only addition I would fit would be a hugger at the back.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk
Charles
Premix Junkie

Post by Charles »

Bike looks great :D
alimorg
Site Admin

Post by alimorg »

Good work Scoob, looks superb - are the discs a bit small though?
Cheers
AL
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. " - Douglas Adams
scooble
Premix Junkie

Post by scooble »

the discs are 310mm ebc prolites, however, I do have a set of Brembo 320mm discs but its not possible to install the calipers as I cant get them past the wheel rim, I need to have the fork legs and discs spaced further apart so that I can manouvre the calipers over the discs without clouting the rim. It is possible to install the wheel and calipers but leave the discs unbolted, then move the discs into the calipers and then bolt them up - not exactly a fast wheel change though when you have to undo 10 disc bolts and do them up again :? - another mod for the winter perhaps, but saying that, I am sure 310mm discs with GSXR600 calipers will do a good enough job of stopping it! ](*,) if you know what I mean.

This was my first attempt using plasticard. good though it is, I would probably do it slightly different next time.
kwackman12
Oil Injector

Post by kwackman12 »

Looks a lot better than the last picture you posted (crashed) :cry: Should be proud of that scooble! What rear sets are they?
KR1 race bike
ZXR 400 Race Bike
Aprilia RS250
scooble
Premix Junkie

Post by scooble »

rearsets are raask, they are a bit what you might call 'industrial' but they do the job and didn't break in the last crash. I have seen quite a few nice looking 'universal' rearsets on ebay for less than £100. The hole spacing seem to be close to the KR which may only requiring welding up and re-boring perhaps.
Tripitaka
Heavy Smoker

Post by Tripitaka »

That looks great Scooble. 8)

But what is plasticard, why won't you use it again, and what will you use next time?
If you have a Parking Ticket or Speeding Ticket take a look at PePiPoo. Helping the Motorist get Justice.
scooble
Premix Junkie

Post by scooble »

plasticard is modellers card (styrene sheet), I would still use it again, but may use multiple (thin) layers next time.
SHimmer45
Premix Junkie

Post by SHimmer45 »

looks great.

keeping it all black then?
94 GPz500S
KR1-S Project
KR1 donor
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

scooble wrote:but saying that, I am sure 310mm discs with GSXR600 calipers will do a good enough job of stopping it! ](*,) if you know what I mean.
did you ran the bike already with the 310mm disks ?
believe me, it's got all the stopping power you want.

on my ZXR600 I have the same setup as you (except that my discs are standard Kwak ones and the ZX6-R calipers) and the brakes are brilliant 8) you don't even have to squeeze them, just pull the lever slightly with one or 2 fingers and you put the bike on it's nose.

on my wet wheels, I even went down to 300mm discs (with different spacers for the calipers) :idea:
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
scooble
Premix Junkie

Post by scooble »

initially I was running 300mm KR1S discs with my 400L forks and it really didn't want to stop!
I then realised I needed the 310mm discs and after they were fitted and it stopped real nice, not viscious though, but very progressive.
Haven't tried this new forks, calipers setup yet, except round the garage.
Solved the not starting electrics problem, so will probably test it out in the next couple of days. For now it will stay black until I am sure everything fits together nicely after some road/track miles, however, I like black and silver or maybe black and yellow now that its got a bit of a wasp tail!
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

scooble wrote:initially I was running 300mm KR1S discs with my 400L forks and it really didn't want to stop!
I then realised I needed the 310mm discs and after they were fitted and it stopped real nice, not viscious though, but very progressive.
the magic is in the radial calipers, not the discs. try them out first, it'll save you the trouble off putting the 320's in :wink:

btw : my calipers have 4 seperate brake pads, your's to ?
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
spannerman
Heavy Smoker

Post by spannerman »

looking real good scooble. are they plastics or fibreglass
ade.
on the pipe!!!
scooble
Premix Junkie

Post by scooble »

the fairing is genuine Aprilia plastic, originally a bit scuffed from ebay, but easy to fix. The seat is a fibreglass race item.

Rode it for the first time today since my crash, a bit fluffy just off the throttle, but soon picks up. Great midrange and then gets all exciting in the powerband. Those nickons make a great sound on the pipe - although I am not sure my neighbours appreciate the delicate tune they play :P