Duh powdercoating?

Plastic bits and Paint
Jnaus
Heavy Smoker

Duh powdercoating?

Post by Jnaus »

Retarded queastion about powdercoating.
What parts are powdercoated from factory?
Obviously frame, swinger, rear shock linkages.
But is the kick stand and peg hangers, these seemed to have aged differently, on both bikes in my garage.
Then while staring at that I started wondering what else should I send off to be powdercoated. Looks like the bar clips are too.
Tambo
Heavy Smoker

Post by Tambo »

Pretty sure they are all paint finish from new.

Not sure why they age differently - my stand was also 'different' :lol:
Kr1s c3, vfr750fg, Dnepr MT11, Pegaso 650
sharky
Smoker

Post by sharky »

As Tambo states they were all painted from the factory
Jnaus
Heavy Smoker

Post by Jnaus »

Ok so my frame has had a recoat before.
But the question still is, what bits were this colour?
Is the yoke meant to be the same silver? Mine looks like in the past someone has had a half hearted attempt at polishing it.
smithyrc30
Heavy Smoker

Post by smithyrc30 »

The KR1/KR1S frame colour is 'Frame Silver #25"

For it to look right though you need to paint it over a black base. I tried doing it over grey primer, cam out looking all washed out. Painted it black then silver and it looks like the factory finish.

Cheers
KR-1R
Premix Junkie

Post by KR-1R »

yokes originally are an anodised finish (top tree is anodised on top of coarse brushed finish)
same with fork leg lowers on KR-1S (coarse brushed/turned finish) - KR-1 legs were painted

the anodising will suffer from oxidative corrosion - wormy corrosion starting from various edges
some of this will polish out with a cream - worse cases will be removed with abrasive taking off the surface finish altogether

cure for appearence would be to polish surface back to bare metal and care there after (or then use an etching solution and then clear coat)

following this if the bike will see bad weather or live outside people will generally paint a silver or grey of their choice

some people paint the foot rests, brake torque bar, shock linkages - engine cases etc - its really up to you how much effort you want to put in
and then the ongoing maintenance to keep clean in the future