modern look?

Plastic bits and Paint
ashley1991kr1

modern look?

Post by ashley1991kr1 »

hi im just wondering if theres any modern fairings that fit or would fit with a little adjustment here and there?
cheers
scooble
Premix Junkie

Post by scooble »

Ade (Spannerman) has done a nice job of fitting a H0nda RS250 fairing and seat to his bike (modified).
The Aprilia RS250 fairing is almost bolt on (earlier ones I think look nicer)
I have an Aprilia RS125 fairing fitted to mine (with 250 center section, had to faff about to make it fit though).
I've seen a modified NSR fitted to a KR and it looked quite nice.
I'm pretty sure the new Tyga RGV fairing would fit, but getting a seat to fit is a bit of a pain (if you want it to look right).
I've tried seats from a h0nda RS250, RS125 (modified) and finally a CBR600RR (heavily modified).
However, the standard shape bodywork has a kind of 'blunt' beauty to it too
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Welcome to the forums.

My bike is similar to Scooble's, but I used a slightly later Aprilia RS250 fairing on mine.
ashley1991kr1

Post by ashley1991kr1 »

Cheers mate i have seen yours in the project section and think it looks rather nice especially the Cbr tail.
Are the Rs 50 fairings around the same size as the Rs 250 as ive got an T reg Rs 50 thats sitting there doing nothing so could nick the fairings off that if they match up. Would it be a big task to fit Rs headlights and Cbr tail light?
Cheers
spannerman
Heavy Smoker

Post by spannerman »

on the pipe!!!
ashley1991kr1

Post by ashley1991kr1 »

Now that is a thing of beauty.
pablo
Premix Junkie

Post by pablo »

Quality 8)
"Turned out nice again"
scooble
Premix Junkie

Post by scooble »

...a few of mine
spannerman
Heavy Smoker

Post by spannerman »

not only is scooble's bike cool as. she also faster 8-[

ade.
on the pipe!!!
ashley1991kr1

Post by ashley1991kr1 »

Like the side fairings on scooble's bike. Did they take alot to fix?
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

ade that looks cracking! really suits the lines of the bike!

one thing i did notice though is the back wheel, am i right in thinking that its an aprilia rs125 item spun the other way around to correct the fact that the sprocket carrier is on the wrong side for the spokes to run the right way?

sorry it just jumped out at me, doesn't detract from the bike

i would love to go all out and stick some entirely modern fairing on my kr!

maccas
spannerman
Heavy Smoker

Post by spannerman »

well spotted that man i was going to change them to 07 rs wheels but haven't got round to that yet as the front will need adapting to take a twin disc setup and i have been too busy riding this year to get on with it :wink:
ade.
on the pipe!!!
alimorg
Site Admin

Post by alimorg »

spannerman wrote:well spotted that man i was going to change them to 07 rs wheels but haven't got round to that yet as the front will need adapting to take a twin disc setup and i have been too busy riding this year to get on with it :wink:
ade.
I had thought of this as well, because if you look at the later rs125 front wheel the 'bolt holes' are replicated on the other side just not machined and drilled. Earlier rs front wheels had a smooth hub on the non disc side, there were a set with sprocket & discs on the bay a couple of weeks ago for £175 buy it now but I dallied and missed them. Aparently Suzuki discs have the same bolt pattern so getting discs in the right size should be a doddle!
Cheers
AL
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. " - Douglas Adams
alimorg
Site Admin

Post by alimorg »

Also, if the early rs125 fairings fit surely the later 'pointy' stuff would fit as well, that would bring the KR right up do date.

Pointy race body kit

Cheers
AL
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. " - Douglas Adams
scooble
Premix Junkie

Post by scooble »

In order to get the 125 fairing to fit, I had to nibble away at the radiator ducts with an angle grinder otherwise iit would clash with the radiator. I then trimmed the machined edges with a scalpel to remove any machining marks.
I used the 250 center section, but the curve where it meets the center wasn't 'round' enough, so I reshped it with a heat gun (advantage of using the genuine plastic fairing).
There have been many variations of the RS125 fairing, I chose the one with the twin airduct as I'll be using this to feed my airbox.
I'm sure the newer stuff will fit, but you would probably have to split the bellypan and re-fibreglass to make it wider.
The 250 and 125 use the same handlebar fairing bracket, so that makes it easy to swap between 125 and 250.
I found in order to make a seat look right, I had to radicly alter the subframe though