painting frame and fairings with aerosols?

Plastic bits and Paint
r1guy
Light Smoker

painting frame and fairings with aerosols?

Post by r1guy »

Hi All,
My KR1S project is progressing nicely :) have now found myself considering the painting of teh frame and the fairing and have a few questions:

1. Is kawasaki green the same green for all years? have been looking on RSPAINTS and ebay and they supply 400ml aerosols of the above for £15 each and ebay approx £10 for 400ml??

2. has anyone had any sucess with painting the frames and fairings with aerosols?

3. is the black base coat just gloss black?? or a special black that only kawasaki used?????

4. what primer is best to use on the fairings? have seen that the base coat of the frame should be black then silver on top? is it possible to get black primer??????

5. is it possible to get the frame and swingarm powder coated the correct colour? have heard that the correct colour is not available but am not sure?

Thanks
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

I struggled to paint my bike with a compressor and professional paint gun. There's no telling what would have happened if I had been let loose on it with an aerosol tin.

Next time I get anything painted, I'm going to the local college bodyshop and getting the students to have a go, as they have to be better than me.

As for the specific questions...

1. Yes I believe it is.
2. see above
3. no idea
4. depends on the paint you are using and yes you can get black primer, as that's what I did mine with.
alimorg
Site Admin

Post by alimorg »

Give it a go I say, but remember time spent on prep is never wasted! If it all goes tits up pop down to your local college you will be suprised at the results (and probably the price!)
Cheers
Al
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. " - Douglas Adams