good body work company,

Plastic bits and Paint
robbier6
Light Smoker

good body work company,

Post by robbier6 »

Afternoon fellow forumers(!!)

Having started my KR1S restoration, i was wondering if any body could recommend a decent body shop in herts bed bucks area, i am slowly preparing all the panels but do not have the skill or tools to attempt spraying.

oh and where can i get plasticote gold spray for my calipers disc centres etc.

all information greatly appreciated.

Rob
Howie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Howie »

Hi rob,

Sorry can't recommend a spray shop round your way but I would suggest not using plasticote for your calipers/discs.

The first drop of brake fluid will take it right off. Powder coat or anodize is far more resilient to DOT4 but I believe there are caliper paints on the market (never used any, so once again I can't recommend any makes etc).

I would also recommend VHT paint for the discs as they can get a little bit hot at times.

Hope this is of some help?
robbier6
Light Smoker

Post by robbier6 »

Howie,

Thanks for the input, can you get gold hi temp paint, as id consider this on the calipers also
Howie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Howie »

Hi rob,

Yep they do hi-temp paint (VHT) in gold & lots of different colours too.

Have a quick look on ebay or amazon & something should pop up.

Not sure if VHT paint is ok for calipers :-k Brake fluid is one of the most corrosive fluids know to man :twisted:
robbier6
Light Smoker

Post by robbier6 »

what would you recommend for calipers Howie, this restoration lark is all new to me.
Howie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Howie »

Hi rob,

I would recommend, powder coating or anodizing for calipers. I haven't yet come across a paint from a tin that will last. But both of these processes are best left to the pro's.

However I haven't tried VHT paint on calipers. Some VHT paint you can bake on, maybe this process will help against brake fluid :-k

Anyone on the forum had success with spray painting calipers?
robbier6
Light Smoker

Post by robbier6 »

thanks for the advice, it looked liked they had been painted before as the paint was bubbling and lifting.