CRANK SEAL REPLACEMENT

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
NOSHER
Smoker

CRANK SEAL REPLACEMENT

Post by NOSHER » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:29 pm

Hi guys
engine now running but spewing oil out of both cans-- only light blue haze from the left but obscuring smoke from the right hand even after 20 mins warm up The more it was revved the more of a smoke cloud from the r/h can and both cans still spraying oil.
General concensus is crank seals gone and r/h prob sucking in gearbox oil as well.SILLY QUESTION to which i probably know the reply----can you replace the seals without splitting the cases>
I read the manual through re disassembly of bottom end but photos and text seem to jump stages and aren`t really that explanetery.
A blog with a series of pics on this subject would be great ---any takers?
YOU GET MORE POKES WITH TWOSTROKES !!

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30

SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Re: CRANK SEAL REPLACEMENT

Post by SP_BOTT » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:33 pm

can't remember now, but i don't think you can get the gear off the end of the crank easily, so therefor can't replace the seal, or at least not a diy job, would await the experts though.

NOSHER
Smoker

Post by NOSHER » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:30 am

ok fella thanks for the reply--i hope some clever geezer on here has found a way to do it and lets us know--you never know with a bit of luck it may not be the seals leaking--has anyone used a leak down test kit to confirm this problem??

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30

jarno
Oil Injector

Post by jarno » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:50 pm

If there is smoke coming from both sides there is a possibility that the inner seals are leak ( the inner shaft is worn)
In both times you must split the cases.
Kr1s C1 zeus blue
ZXR400 SP
ZXR250A

NOSHER
Smoker

Post by NOSHER » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:42 pm

hi jarno thanks for the reply--bit strange this one----i changed the right hand carb(still don`t know why)For a spare i had lying around to see if the engine would start after weeks of possible ignition problems and still no start but now plenty of spark----i gave it one kick and the engine burst into life.
the engine did NOT blow smoke or oil spray previously when it was running until i fitted this r/h carb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tomorrow i will refit the original carb and we will see what we will see(probably through a blue haze!!)

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30

bsa70
Light Smoker

Re: CRANK Shaft cog

Post by bsa70 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:31 pm

hi i got the cog off using a sturdy bearing puller from jago, on amazon about 30 quid ,first i punched a straight line from cog to end of shaft using an i letter from letter punches as a reassembling guide,then pulled it off using puller.

NOSHER
Smoker

Post by NOSHER » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:21 pm

hi beezer-thanks for the reply--is the cog an interference fit? or is it on a keyway? AND--

did changing the outer seals sort the problem(i`m assuming it was smoking badly?) or not?

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30

JanBros
Premix Junkie

Post by JanBros » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:52 pm

you need to split the cases to change the seal,as the seal has as sort of lip that fits inside a groove in the cases
You know it's cold outside when you trip over dog shit instead of standing in it.

NOSHER
Smoker

Post by NOSHER » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:09 am

Yes Jarno-- i thought that might be the case(no pun intended!!)i`ve just found a picture of a seal and i can see that it has a raised profile on the outer seal surface obviously there to lock the seals in place under compression.
Lets hope i don`t have to fork out for a crank rebuild and the smoky cans settle down with a little more running at temperature.

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30