CYLINDER BASE GASKESTS TO SEAL OR NOT

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
NOSHER
Heavy Smoker

CYLINDER BASE GASKESTS TO SEAL OR NOT

Post by NOSHER »

Hi fellas. about to refit the barrels and wondered if it was best to fit the base gadgets dry or whether it is best to use a sealant with the new gaskets.?
Col
YOU GET MORE POKES WITH TWOSTROKES !!

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30
martin
Premix Junkie

Re: CYLINDER BASE GASKESTS TO SEAL OR NOT

Post by martin »

Dry is ok.

But there is nothing wrong to use threebond sealant if you wish.
I have used sealent(threebond a few times.including on the cylinder head gasket.

Belt and braces never hurt anyone.
current bikes
fully restored green/white kr1 b2
NOSHER
Heavy Smoker

Post by NOSHER »

Thanks for the reply Martin I put the barrels back on today and took a chance and fitted them dry.
Col

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30
NOSHER
Heavy Smoker

Post by NOSHER »

Hi Martin never rains but it pours.my engine assy was going well today refitting pistons barrels kips valves and cylinder head.I decided to use 2rs roller bearings rather than oil seals on the kips stems.fitted and torqued the cylinder head then fitted the valve stem bearings using a machined ally sleeve to tap the bearings into the head recesses.no problem fitting three then the last one seemed a little reluctant to go all the way into the recess so using a hot air gun I gently warmed the area around the half fitted bearing then gently tapping the sleeve bottomed out — and the end broke off the valve stem across the threaded hole !!!.
My question is if I cannot repair with an industrial grade aluminium epoxy resin which I have used before and have to remove the head again to fit a new valve can I reuse the new head gasket just fitted if I use an anaerobic sealant or not.??.cannot seem to find a supplier of a head gasket on its own except for the copper ones on EBay but don’t feel Iike paying circa £50 just for one gasket.
Thanks in advance
Col

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30