REUSING NEW HEAD GASKET

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
NOSHER
Heavy Smoker

REUSING NEW HEAD GASKET

Post by NOSHER »

Hi fellas well after asssermbling the barrels kips valves and torquing the head down I was inserting roller bearings in place of the rubber seals on the Kips valve stems and the very last one the stem broke across the threaded hole.
So the head had to come off to replace the broken valve.

My question is as the head gasket has not been subjected to the heat of a running engine can the expensive head gasket be reused or will retorquing the gasket not seal it properly even if an anaerobic sealant is used or is that not a recommendation ?

Col.

Col
YOU GET MORE POKES WITH TWOSTROKES !!

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Re: REUSING NEW HEAD GASKET

Post by SP_BOTT »

Yes I'd be happy to use that again, wouldn't use any other sealant either, as you say, it hasn't done any heat cycles yet. or been subjected to a retorque.

Not too familiar with KR gaskets, but if in doubt hairspray or Permatex spray seems to get recommended. I've never used either so far, but do have Yama/Kawa/h***a/bond etc that could be used.
Paul250B
Heavy Smoker

Re: REUSING NEW HEAD GASKET

Post by Paul250B »

Well worth giving Martin a pm!
There won’t be many people who’ve built as many of these engines as he has, his advice would be invaluable.