maybe restricted??

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
twigg
Light Smoker

maybe restricted??

Post by twigg »

hey i took the kr1s out on a private road of course and i could only get 110mph out of her im thinking that she is probably a import and restricted so how do i de restrict her im guessing it needs a english ecu?? any advice would be appreciated cheers tom
James P
Oil Injector

Re: maybe restricted??

Post by James P »

Tom,

You should be able to check your CDI unit to see which version you have:

KR-1 (all versions) 21119-1234
KR-1S (Japanese domestic version) 21119-1275
KR-1S (export version) 21119-1287

I don't think that the Japanese domestic version is "restricted" as such - I think the ignition characteristics are the same. As far as I know, the only difference between the 1275 and the 1287 ( :? someone else please correct me if this is wrong!) is that the 1275 has an extra input wire from the speedo, which cuts the ignition when the speedo indication reaches 180km/h. If it doesn't actually cut the ignition, it may retard the spark so much as to prevent any further speed increase.

The speed sensor can be disabled, but I'm not sure whether the extra wire must be:
1. simply disconnected, or
2. disconnected and earthed, or
3. permanently connected to the +12V DC supply

A study of the wiring diagram, along with a couple of continuity checks on the extra wire in the speedo should tell you which method to use. I would be interested to know if anyone has already done this, as I haven't got any KR-1S speedos, only KR-1.

Regards,
James