hard to get in to neutral

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
fred
Oil Injector

hard to get in to neutral

Post by fred »

its not cable play or oil ,its ok to coast back then ingage neutral ,but its not playing at stand still,ile strip the clutch this weekend ,i rekon it`s the tbay plates n me not putting something back as it was ,i need to look up where that steel ring bit goes and what way round ,but as usual any advise would be greatly recieved
dave32
Heavy Smoker

Post by dave32 »

Has it just stared doing it after having it off or is it something its always done?
There not the easiest to get into neutral when running,i find it easier to go from 2nd than 1st to neutral.
Also the "bang/clunk" into 1st when cold can be lessened if you pull the clutch lever in for a minute or so while its warming up to help circulate the oil.
Use a decent oil like silkolene light gear oil and change every 1500 miles,or you can use silkolene SRG75 that is fully synthetic/more expensive but will last longer between changes.
Wort checking the outer basket doesnt have any notches worn where the plates locate,if there not too deep just file them out.
Must admit ive never had a problem with any clutch on a KR,there pretty reliable in my view.
Can have a look tommorow to see how the steel ring goes if nobody knows,is it not in the manual?
Dave
fred
Oil Injector

Post by fred »

dont go stripping anything down on my account ile try a lighter oil first
Bertie_Mollie
Premix Junkie

Post by Bertie_Mollie »

I recon it is the thrust washer worn. Turn it over and it should be OK (assuming it hasn't been done before)

Cheers

BM
GWB KR1s C2 - Now gone :-(
GWB KR1 - YES IT'S DONE!
ZXR400L PROJECT :shock:
AND NO S****Y H****A'S

Usque Ad Mortem Bibendum
mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

Post by mgtkr1 »

thrust washer/clutch actuator thing or possibly grooved basket. its an hours job to strip inspect and reassemble, with brew breaks/fags inbetween. its a common woe
fred
Oil Injector

Re: hard to get in to neutral

Post by fred »

i am such a cheapskate monkey at times ,id`e used some castrol hyspin hydraulic oil ,on tin it says good anti wear ,thermal stability,anti foam and ok for use with wet brakes (on tractors) so i made the fatal thought to assume clutch brakes same thing bollox is it ,it`s a thin oil but doesnt work ,sorted the gearbox oil and changed back tyre tother day and thought ide put standard sproket back on as i still had 44 from prescott ,thought blooming eck this is a good smooth pull ,60 in first ,100 in third ,then i rememberd ive still got a 14 on front
fred
Oil Injector

Post by fred »

so ime looking to renew 92026-1308 n 92022-1109 ,
fred
Oil Injector

Post by fred »

quick update,had a look at it a couple of times,rebuilt a few times ,came to the conclusion of running without a gasket ,itl increase play ,so looked at how much movement was on actuating arm ,tons of play,so popped a thin washer under the actuating spigot and bearing to take the play up ,sorted
and fitted one of these Image so i can see oil level easier