Float Height Adjusting

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
Vin
Heavy Smoker

Float Height Adjusting

Post by Vin »

Hi All,

Anyone tried setting the float heights using this method and if so have any good tips or opinions on it?

I have been advised to set my float height to 18mm on my Rd500 as an engine tuner has advised the rd500 performs better with this set-up but I'm having problems achieving this using the above method!

Also anyone have a link to buying online geniune keihin carb parts? Allens don't have an online buying service do they?

Cheers All
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Re: Float Height Adjusting

Post by JanBros »

how hard can it be when you just need to bent a tiny peace of metal ?

off course it can be a pain in the ass when you need to open the float bowl a couple off dozen times before you get it right :mrgreen:
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

I reckon the 18mm that he refers to is from the float bowl gasket surface to the extremeties of the floats themselves when the sprung part of the needle valve is just touching the bend-able float tang.

As an example the Mikuni TM 36mm carbs on my 3xv have a recommended float height of between 18.9 to 20.9mm. This by the fuel height method you have highlighted is 5-7mm.

Does that make sense?

Dan
Vin
Heavy Smoker

Post by Vin »

maccas wrote:I reckon the 18mm that he refers to is from the float bowl gasket surface to the extremeties of the floats themselves when the sprung part of the needle valve is just touching the bend-able float tang.

As an example the Mikuni TM 36mm carbs on my 3xv have a recommended float height of between 18.9 to 20.9mm. This by the fuel height method you have highlighted is 5-7mm.

Does that make sense?

Dan
Perfect sense thanks Dan =D>

I slept on it and it came to me in the night....lol.... plus the help of another rd500 forum member we believe it should be 2mm from the gasket face.
Vin
Heavy Smoker

Post by Vin »

JanBros wrote:how hard can it be when you just need to bent a tiny peace of metal ?

off course it can be a pain in the ass when you need to open the float bowl a couple off dozen times before you get it right :mrgreen:
Not difficult at all until you have to get all 4 spot on and it's surprising with the rule method how far out each one can be out I'm told?