Water in gearoil - ONLY possible from water pump?

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
Mikkel

Water in gearoil - ONLY possible from water pump?

Post by Mikkel »

Just got a licence plate for my KR1 yestoday, and took it for a long run. First run after overhaul of KIPS valves, brakes and WATER PUMP. Great bike!! :mrgreen:

When I came home, I could see that the brand new red gearoil had turned into a milkshake pink colour #-o

Sad - because I bought a new (used but good) waterpump shaft this wither + mechanical seal, oil seal and O-ring - so it all should be good :^o

Anyway - my question is:
Is the waterpump the only place where the oil and water can meet? Or have I forgotten something?

I am about to tear the pump apart again - but just need a few suggestions beforehand... Anyone?
Mikkel
Denmark
(The more you know - the faster you go!)
scooble
Premix Junkie

Re: Water in gearoil - ONLY possible from water pump?

Post by scooble »

I think its about the only place it can happen, its happened to me a few times.
The seal needs to be changed, but I found to the easiest way to get the old one out is take the whole casing off, remove the plastic gears, heat it up and knock it out from the inside.

I also found once, this happened because the head gasket had blown, thus pressurising the coolant system and forcing coolant past the impeller seal.

Once you put the new seal in, make sure that the coolant system isn't being blown out
Mikkel

Re: Water in gearoil - ONLY possible from water pump?

Post by Mikkel »

Guess I will just have to change the seal again then... :|

Good point with the head gasket - it was actually new - but NOT oem quality...
When I order from cms.nl I may just as well get a Kawasaki head gasket :wink:
Mikkel
Denmark
(The more you know - the faster you go!)