Running in ?

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
Tambo
Heavy Smoker

Running in ?

Post by Tambo »

Any thoughts on running in revs and distances ? My 'fresh crank' has become 'fresh crank, pistons, and re-coated barrels' and completely stock, so it does deserve a bit tlc, but looking at the manual, there's no way I've got the self restraint to manage 500 miles at 4,000, and another 500 at 6,000 :roll:

I'm thinking maybe 200 miles at 6,000, then gradually increase the revs over the next couple of hundred..............

Tommy
Kr1s c3, vfr750fg, Dnepr MT11, Pegaso 650
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Re: Running in ?

Post by Luders »

That sounds fine to me, just give it a few heat cycles before you start.
dave32
Heavy Smoker

Post by dave32 »

what you DONT want to do though is do many miles sat at one constant revs,say just cruising up the m/way at 6000rpm for 200 miles.
You'r better off,and as Ben has said,put a few (4 or 5) heat cycles through the motor on the stand,dont just let it idle til its up to temp though,3 to 4000rpm for a few secs then shut the throttle and blip up to 5 or 6000,repeat til the barrels are hot to touch then allow to cool down and repeat.
After this your better off doing say short journeys of 10,20 miles rather than long distance,the main thing you dont want to do is LOAD the engine too much by using HIGH gears and large throttle openings,your better off keeping to the lower gears and using higher revs (but not too high),say up to 7000rpm.
Once you have done about 100miles like above,you can give it some rpm in the lower gears,say up to 9 or 10000rpm in 2nd or 3rd then change up a couple of gears to bring the rpm down,this is kinder than shutting the throttle.
TBH if it was a track bike with new crank etc you could run it in within 20 miles or so and have no problems,same goes for the pistons/bore/rings,but seeing as its a road bike it wont hurt to take a bit longer.
HTH
Dave :D
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

I agree with Dave.

most important thing is to not put too much load on the engine. you'r better off revving 9.000 with the throttle only 1/4 open, than revving 5.000 with the throttle wide open.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
Tambo
Heavy Smoker

Post by Tambo »

Thanks guys. We're all thinking along the same lines 8) I was just a bit shocked to see the manual state 4,000 - can't see how that could be good for it - it would be labouring all the time !!

I'll gradually increase the revs 'limit' under light load over the next few runs, then gradually up the load as well. Does sound lovely though :mrgreen: Much happier riding it than building / re-building it :roll:

Cheers
Kr1s c3, vfr750fg, Dnepr MT11, Pegaso 650