which platers?

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Re: which platers?

Post by JanBros »

definitly before plating (if it hasn't been done yet) so you don't have to be as carfull.

and again after , but then the work is just minimal :wink:
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
buzinc
Heavy Smoker

Post by buzinc »

As far as I'm aware, there are only two companies who actually do re-plates, (correct me if i'm wrong anybody) Aptec motorsport and Lancourts.
And its a case of sending them your barrels, (i sent pistons too) they remove the plating and if necessary weld any damage, re-plate, machine and hone to the correct bore size,then chamfer the ports.
All you have to do is admire the work, (quick wash) install back on the engine and go!

You shouldn't have to do any file work yourself. My first (R/H) barrel was spot on (£160!) it did need welding somewhere near the exhaust port. I sent them the second (L/H) barrel and as you can see in my picture, all the ports have sharp edges, no chamfering and in the case of the exhaust port, being made slightly smaller!

I sent the unit back and they addressed all the ports! But after that experience, not sure if I would use them again!

Buz
KR-1R
Premix Junkie

Post by KR-1R »

just a reminder of a PB magazine article scan

HERE

I also suggest uniquely marking your barrels to be sure you are not getting an 'exchange' service on the order - especially if you are going through a third party/tuner and not dealing with the platers directly.
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Good article that is Danny, explains in way more detail why people should use Aptec than what I did :)
Bertie_Mollie
Premix Junkie

Post by Bertie_Mollie »

Got a quote today from PJME for 2 new Mitaka piston kits, and straight replate on 2 barrels with no weld repairs required - £416.40 :shock:

OUCH!

Piston replate £150 per barrel.

I guess by reading the text on their site they use Aptec.

I think I might have a chat to Sean at TTW.

Cheers

Andrew
GWB KR1s C2 - Now gone :-(
GWB KR1 - YES IT'S DONE!
ZXR400L PROJECT :shock:
AND NO S****Y H****A'S

Usque Ad Mortem Bibendum
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Just cut out the middle man and go to Aptec directly Andrew. Should be £130 per barrel.

Piston kits available here for £110 including delivery.

http://m.roadanddirtperformancebikepart ... TROKE.html