Fuel lines to filter or not

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
Binetta Steve
Oil Injector

Fuel lines to filter or not

Post by Binetta Steve »

My 92 Kr1s runs quick release fittings on the fuel lines and following comments from 375 last year im going to take em off and run simple lines, tap to carbs. Question is should i fit in line fuel filters. I run one on my lil moped since thats over 50 yrs old!

Whats the view, rely on the tank strainer or fit secondary filters?

Ps i have cleaned the tank out , but that doesnt preclude shit getting to my lovely Sonically cleaned carbs.

Steve
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Re: Fuel lines to filter or not

Post by Luders »

I know people use filters, but I personally don't bother. The one integrated in the fuel tap is sufficient in my opinion and also KHI's.
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

I always put an inline filter. costs next to nothing and saves a whole lot of carb cleaning.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
Garry
Premix Junkie

Post by Garry »

I'm with Jan on that one
Smokings Good For You
Binetta Steve
Oil Injector

Post by Binetta Steve »

Thanks Ben , Jan and Garry, filters it is. Im fitting a new regulator rectifier tomorrow so tank off and removing of quick releases and routing of fuel lines.

Steve
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by 500bernie »

Hi Steve,

Is it one of the Wemoto ones?
Firecracker Red and Grey C3 300
Binetta Steve
Oil Injector

Post by Binetta Steve »

Yep, i looked back on old posts and you posted a link to it rR26. I understand they can be tricky to fit, how did you get on?
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

Binetta Steve wrote:Thanks Ben , Jan and Garry, filters it is. Im fitting a new regulator rectifier tomorrow so tank off and removing of quick releases and routing of fuel lines.

Steve
buy the shortest possible filters you can find, or the fuel lines might not bend properly :idea: (don't know how to say this proparly in english, but if the distance on which they can make the bend is too short they "fold together")
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

That makes sense to me Jan. Basically if the bend radius in the pipe is too tight because there's too much length, the pipe will kink and create an impedance in flow.
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

I like to fit inline filters, but beware and shop around. I fitted one to a customers bike years ago thinking I was doing a good thing and the bike came back within days fuel starving after a few miles "hard" riding..

Lesson learnt, some have VERY restrictive flow (especially tiny cheap plastic ones). There's some good, metal bodied anodised filters that are also cleanable but they cost 5-6 quid each, and aren't quiet as small (think they'd be fine on a KR1). Bit pricey but you buy them once and they work well, certainly protect the carbs after going to the effort of having them cleaned!
Binetta Steve
Oil Injector

Post by Binetta Steve »

Cheers guys only got as far as the regulator yesterday, filters still to be done. The weather was so good i went out on my road bike to blow away the winter woes. Great weather but cold and on the the way home home i passed the gritter. Ho hum , get the hosepipe out.

Ben the technical phrase is MBR max bend radius, we use it a lot at work with chemical hoses, we have graphs and data sheets. If the hoses are incorrectly stored they kink and thats £700 for a 2 metre hose !

Thanks for the advice on filters guys.
trix

Post by trix »

..definitely fit an in line filter. The screen on the fuel tap inside the fuel tank can break/ fall off. It happened to me on my NS400. The crap in the carb float bowls was incredible.
KR-1R
Premix Junkie

Post by KR-1R »

I guess most of us may be festidious about cleanliness above the fuel tap, so once your tank is clean what is the likely risk to carbs?
Theres some video evidence of bikes on dyno runs sucking dry on some filters (like the sintered metal variety?).
in engineering practise u would always fit a filter before a punp

how fast the fuel is flowing...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcNfci9OruU
" In the video clip you can see the fuel line get air pockets in it.
So adding a breather to the fuel filter I have a nifty header tank for the carb and cured that problem
"

^^^ maybe he had loose hose clip?

With the KR's twin small ID hoses on the 28 carbs would you want to add more restriction?
As Janbros says theres not a lot of room! considering the short distance to carbs (especially if you try dry breaks) - what you install can add length meaning tighter turn back to get to carb (possible hose collapse),
but I think Bozbridge is right, if you are going to fit filters go for large rather than small - then reservoir/receiver characteristic should outweight possible flow restriction - installed around the right way!

RGV's have a small filter pad inside each carb to further screen the tank