Carbs leaking

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
Ian964
Smoker

Carbs leaking

Post by Ian964 »

Hi guys,

I have had my bike running today for the first time properly. It runs really well but there seems to be a leak on both carbs. On the left carb there is a small leak from the top overflow hose and on the right carb a leak from the bottom overflow hose. I took the float bowl off and everything looked clean and free, so I refitted and tried again withe same problem.

It also continues to leak when not running. This indicates to me that fuel is still filling the carb, but I thought this should be shut off if the engine is off as the tap is vacuum?

Any ideas anyone?

Any help appreciated
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Re: Carbs leaking

Post by 500bernie »

Hi Ian,
Sounds like your fuel tap needs a refurb, and you have some dirt in your float valves (not needle valves as I previously said - getting addled)
Cheers
Bernie :)
Last edited by 500bernie on Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Firecracker Red and Grey C3 300
Binetta Steve
Oil Injector

Post by Binetta Steve »

Repair kit here

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/kawasaki/kr ... epair_kit/

Hope this is of use

Steve
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Assuming you don't have the tap in the Pri position and your vaccum tube is connected, your tap will require a service.

Regardless of what your fuel tap is doing, once the bowls fill, the floats will rise and shut off the float valve, so it also sounds like you need to check your float heights.
pkay
Light Smoker

Post by pkay »

Mate had same problem - bought a set of replacement float needles and seats and all good.
Ian964
Smoker

Post by Ian964 »

pkay wrote:Mate had same problem - bought a set of replacement float needles and seats and all good.
I ordered a pair of needle valves but they have arrived and are incorrect (too big).

I stripped the carbs yesterday and found one of the needle valves was clogged up.

I chucked the in the ultrasonic cleaner and they have come up ok.

I will reassemble and try them later.
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Needles won't make any difference, the issue is with your float height, or your float valves.
Ian964
Smoker

Post by Ian964 »

Luders wrote:Needles won't make any difference, the issue is with your float height, or your float valves.
Sorry Luders, I meant one of the float valves was stuck as it was dirty.
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Ah that'll do it.
pkay
Light Smoker

Post by pkay »

Ian964 wrote:
pkay wrote:Mate had same problem - bought a set of replacement float needles and seats and all good.
I ordered a pair of needle valves but they have arrived and are incorrect (too big).

I stripped the carbs yesterday and found one of the needle valves was clogged up.

I chucked the in the ultrasonic cleaner and they have come up ok.

I will reassemble and try them later.
The KX250 uses the same float needles and seat as the KR250. Same part number and that's what I used and it works.
Ian964
Smoker

Post by Ian964 »

After cleaning the internals one carb was ok, one still had a leak. I ordered a new float valve from Cradley and that has done the trick, no more leaks.