tuned engine specs question

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
scooble
Premix Junkie

tuned engine specs question

Post by scooble »

I asked Kenny at TSA to make me a set of spannies and he said in order to optimise the pipes he need the tuning data.
I asked Bob Farnham what the port heights, widths were etc but he said he forgot, (I would have thought he would have the specs written down).

I know its quite a long shot, but would any happen to have a Bob Farnham tuned KR1 engine sitting around in bits which they could measure, or better still, happen to have the specs written down anywhere?

Failing that, I'll have to whip off the head and cylinders off mine and give them a measure
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Re: tuned engine specs question

Post by 500bernie »

Hi Tricia,

He will have them written down and most likely mapped onto acetate templates for marking out, but it is his own commercially sensitive information (perhaps if you got Kenny to contact him)?

Cheers,
Bernie :)
Firecracker Red and Grey C3 300
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

That's the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Your best bet is doing a port map yourself Tricia and sending it Kenny.
scooble
Premix Junkie

Post by scooble »

he then told me that he tunes all his engines from memory!
Well, if he cant remember the specs, that doesn't bode well for the quality of the tuning work if he cant remember what it is he is supposed to be doing.
Either that, or he's simply being a bit obstructive, I mean, these days KR1 tuning must be such minuscule amount of his business.
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by 500bernie »

Hi Tricia
Like Ben says, a port map is your best option now. I always do a before and after when I am getting any tuning done that way I have a full record of any work done on the engine.
Cheers
Bernie :)
Firecracker Red and Grey C3 300
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

Tricia i'd take your cyls and head and send them to Kenny, he has all the measuring equipment and he knows exactly what measurements the software wants.

Measure the fitted clearance head volume and squish and send a piston with them. That's your best bet.

Dan
dave32
Heavy Smoker

Post by dave32 »

I had Bobs SS400 tune on a KR1 B2,from my own memory it was crap,too peaky and struggled in the higher gears.
Looking at what he had done didn't seem like he knew what he was doing,exhaust port raised and widened to same as KR1S and barrel tops skimmed,head left as is,transfer's not touched except slight work on the transfer divider (which is good as is).
We got the motor to fly by giving it to someone who knew what they were doing,he modded the transfer angles and increased there duration to get the mid range back,from 9 to 11500rpm it's a missile with Pete Gibson pipes.
Tuner said he could have got it much better if Bob hadn't gone mad on the exhaust port,said he see's the same thing with Stans tunes,a big gaping exhaust port and not much else.
I would have thought the pipe spec depend's on what you want out of it,more revs or more torque,cant go too wrong with stock pipe's or similar design.